A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Debating Launch X431 V Or Autel MS906BT

More
4 years 4 months ago #35508 by JD435
Well it seems it has been about a week looking and reviewing diagnostic Bi-Directional scanners. Need to be able access various controllers abs, tcm, srs, dpf, sas, etc. Need the scanner to also test varies solenoids, sensors, relays, etc for now.

Looking for good support of specific 2005 Honda CR-V, 2019 KIA Nero PHEV, 1998 - 2012 Dodge RAM Cummins and 2000 - 2015 VW TDI diesels. Would also want support for the Ford Powerstoke and GM Duramax diesels. I already have Ross VCDB for VW.

I have basically settle for either Launch X431 V or Autel MS906BT. Have not been able to try out either of these scanners so not sure which one is the best.

The cons...
Launch has limited support for certain make/models. Vendor support? Legit Sellers? Add-ons?
Autel has more expensive yearly updates $600+

Willing to spend up to about $1200.
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 4 months ago #35513 by Andy.MacFadyen
Really you won't go wrong with either ISTR some of other most respected YouTubers ie Eric at South Main Auto Repair, Ivan at Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics and even Keith at New Auto (who uses what seems a vast array of scantools) have made good use of one or both of these tools.

One thing that is evident from is scan speed varies -- for model coverage particularly Euro and obscure Asian Launch is the winner which was the decider for me. I have just order a new Launch X431 tool as has Tyler, so expect reports in the next week or so.

No idea how much detailed there is on the Cummins in the Ram I know Snap-On cover it as Ivan used it in a video but $$$$$$

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 4 months ago #35517 by JD435
Thank Andy, Also taking in CyperMonday shopping for discount.
More
4 years 4 months ago #35530 by JD435
Well bit the bullet - Purchase 431 V+ on Amazon with a $100 discount. With the 431 V+ at $1049 and the MS906BT at $1085 with $150 discount, decided to go with x431 since it came with a two year free updates vs Autel one year.

Can not wait to use it on Honda CRV with EVAP P0456.
More
4 years 4 months ago #35570 by Jostr
I'm a day late to the party but the autel ms906bt has very good coverage for dodge/ram cummins. I prefer it over the verus edge when I'm needing bi directional on my 2011 cummins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35571 by Andy.MacFadyen
Good info , I looked on the Launch Diagun 4 menu and it also list a huge range of special functions including DPF no way to test it Dodge Rams are almost unknown over here.

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
More
4 years 4 months ago #35574 by JD435
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWell my x431 V+ is out for delivery today. Will be using it this weekend on Honda CRV.

Anyone looking for a slightly used x431 V+, there is one on eBay right now.
The seller responded after Cyber Monday so purchased new on Amazon.

"2018 Version LAUNCH X431 V+ ScanPad Diagnostic Tool"

Ask these questions...
1 - Who was the vendor you purchased?
2 - When does the updates expire?
3 - Do you have the certificate and pin# in order to transfer the update subscription?
4 - When can you ship?

New message from: wr19 (142Turquoise Star)
1. Vendor is autel-online (4434 ) on ebay.
2. it said i had 2 years of free updates. Purchased the item November 30, 2018. I activated it on December 11, 2018 at 11.48pm to be exact. so that mean you still have free updates until December 11, 2020 at 11.48pm. a full year.
3. I have the serial number and activation key. All you have to do it create an account on www.x431.com/website/cas/userLogin.do , and activate the product.
4. Once purchased i will ship it the very next day.
More
4 years 4 months ago #35611 by Tyler
Does anyone care to try the Remote Diagnosis function? It's not a critical function of the tool, I just want to take it for a spin.

It'd be even more fun if you install a problem and make someone else figure it out. :silly:
More
4 years 3 months ago #36039 by Giannisrd
I'm looking at the Launch V pro as well,i'm interested for Euro and Asian cars mainly.
What is your impression till now?I think Launch offer 2 year of free updates and 2 Year warranty but have found seller who offers 5 years of warranty with no extra cost.
More
4 years 3 months ago #36044 by Tyler
I have the Pro Mini, and I'm very satisfied with it's Euro and Asian coverage overall. On par with Autel, in my experience.

The updates are no joke. About once a week, I check the update function and find updates available. Downloading and installing is painless.
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36046 by Andy.MacFadyen
X431 on the Launch Diagun IV has very good Euro cover with bi-directional control even covers Webasto diesel burning heaters on Land-Rovers but some the non-power train modules on some BMW such as the Climate Control and Light Switch modules have on limited cover, not as good I could with my previous scanner on the LSM with which I could select and deselect options such as the DRL and See You Home Lights. However in terms of bang per buck it is hard to beat.

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
More
4 years 3 months ago #36052 by david landman
i have been looking for diagnostic scanner for a while now , was looking at buying the Autel ds808 @ £600 on Amazon , the one thing that scared me from purchasing Autel was the customer support, too much scaring if you dont buy from Autel distributor no support, I bough the launch CRP429C it does most of what i need it to do mainly diesel injector coding on european cars as well as 10 other special functions.
it does not have bi directional control but will do alot of service functions ABS BLEEDING , STEERING ANGLE RESET. IMMO. EPB . INJECTOR CODING ,DPF, BMS, OIL SERVICE RESET, ELECTRONIC STEERING RESET, ETC ALL for £200, it may not be for the the programmers and coders but good enough for service shop diy guy.
Free updates as a bonus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen
More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36057 by Andy.MacFadyen
CRP429c would meet most needs at great price,
The danger zone in buying a scantool is the Chinese manufactures confuse the issue by having overlapping models and disorderly marketing in western countries.
Often the sellers haven't clue about what they are selling. Where there are proper distributors they are only really interested in selling the more expensive pro,-le el tools and add a premium ( often well earned) for their knowledge and support .

Launch manufacturer coverage in the west depends on the tool the sub £500 tools cover the same 40 or so manufacturers covered by Autel but the more expensive X431 models cover over 60 manufacturers okay most of these are obscure Chinese or Indian vehicles but if like me you often need to interrogate the ABS or SRS on a Rover or MG you need the more expensive tool

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494
More
4 years 3 months ago #36140 by BDautorepair
I bought the Launch V pro about a month ago and I love it. It is wireless Bluetooth connected, so I can run and print a health report while handling other things. Loaded some of my own apps and software on and it is a great asset for us.
More
4 years 3 months ago #36149 by Andy.MacFadyen
How did you get apps to load, my Diagun won't let install from the Appstore or side load

More
4 years 3 months ago #36177 by BDautorepair
My vpro has Google play, I added hp print to wirelessly print, identifix and ATG VE Calculator.
More
4 years 3 months ago #36212 by jimaik
New to the forum, I am also debating the Launch vs Autel. Looking at the Diagun also, can anyone tell me if the models in the price range how electronic diagrams for the vehicle being looked at ? Thanks !
More
4 years 3 months ago #36252 by Tyler
No wiring diagrams are provided with the included software. You CAN look at SI/diagrams on the tool with the built-in web browser and a subscription to your SI source of choice.
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38610 by Dtech494
The repair info is simply using the tablet to access whatever SI you subscribe to.
Autel has a info button but sends you to information that is on google
but no wiring info.
More
3 years 11 months ago #39476 by Giannisrd
Can you install a new PCM/ECU etc and program it with the X431 V?
Can't find a definite answer,i suppose it won't be possible though and extra equipment needed.
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds