A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Nozzle-cleaning tools - what did Paul use it for?

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35372 by Martin398
Back in a video in the distant past, Paul used a set of welders nozzle-cleaning files (see photo). For the life of me I can’t remember what he recommended the tool for; I think it might have been in gauging the diameter of a female connector to make sure that it wasn’t damaged by inserting an oversize male (if you get my drift).

I’ve spent a good hour getting nowhere with Google, so I’d be grateful if anyone confirm this or, even better, point me to the video in question?
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Martin398.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35400 by Tyler
That'd be this ScannerDanner classic:

These days, I'd bet Paul is using the uTest kit for the same purpose (which didn't exist when that video was shot).

www.aeswave.com/uTest-Advanced-Terminal-Test-Kit-p9715.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martin398

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35469 by Martin398
Bless you, Tyler!!! Exactly right. And I bet you’re right: when I saw that AESWave advanced connector kit the first time Paul included it in his video, I was blown away. I looked to see if there was anything like it in the UK (to minimise shipping fees and to avoid import taxes), and nothing came even close, in terms of the quality or the value for money. When I calculated the shipping fees and taxes, it was still outstanding value for money. So I bought it. And the service from AESWave was just as impressive: I made an error using the potentiometer and broke it. The replacement cost me a mere $12 plus shipping. Anywhere else and I would have been charged an arm and a leg for replacement parts. (I’ve since added a 100mA fuse for protection against future stupidity.)

Thanks again, Tyler. This drove me so mad that I started going through all the old videos.

Best wishes

Martin

More
4 years 4 months ago #35478 by Tyler
No worries!

Martin398 wrote: I’ve since added a 100mA fuse for protection against future stupidity.

Now there's a good idea. B) Which fuse and/or holder did you use, specifically?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35510 by Martin398
Hi Tyler
I’m away from home until tomorrow. When I get back, I’m going to photograph everything for you. And I think I know where I got the fuse and fuse holder from so I’ll dig out that as well.

By the way, I know the name Tyler is not uncommon in the US, but you weren’t one of Paul’s students were you? I seem to remember a Tyler who was asking a lot of sensible questions in one of the videos and turning the lesson into one where Paul got lots of student participation - a rare event.

Anyway, I’ll get you the info soon.

Martin

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35511 by Martin398
Good news: I found the order for the fuse and holder.

The fuse is here:

cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mc000899/fuse-...low-100ma/dp/FF03061

And the fuse holder:

cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/787-408/20x5mm...se-holder/dp/FF01016

And I’ll send the photo in a couple of days.

Martin

More
4 years 4 months ago #35540 by Martin398
Tyler

Here’s the photo of the pot withe the fuse protection. I was a but reluctant to post it because it lowers the tone of the kit and I’m sure others could have made a better job of it. Fuse goes in the blue wire.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
4 years 4 months ago #35841 by Tyler
Thanks for the build info, sir. B) Homemade tools and modifications are usually the best, IMO.

We're all students of Paul, right? :lol: But nope, I didn't attend Rosedale.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35842 by Martin398
“We are all students of Paul”. Tyler, never was there a truer statement.
And thank you again for sorting me out.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds