A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Options for the DIYer

More
7 years 8 months ago #384 by desertdude
Great site, ScannerDanner. Thanks for all of your contributions to the auto tech world.

I was wondering if this could be an open-ended thread for code readers and scan tools better suited to the DIYer. Most of these discussions usually start with what is the "cheapest" or "best" tool to use, but that's not necessarily what I'm seeking.

Since most of us DIYers are limited in expertise, tools, and available time, the real value in a code reader, DVOM, or scan tool, is sometimes in deciding whether or not I want to attempt the repair myself. For example, I'm not about to diagnose a bad transmission or replace an engine, but a dead alternator or starter? Bring it on. Bad MAF sensor? Sure. Cracked solder joints on the Kelsey Hayes ABS module? No problemo. If the problem is more advanced, or I don't have time to fix it myself, I use whatever information is returned from the code reader or scan tool to choose an appropriate shop.

Here's the thing -- I don't care if the code reader/scan tool is slow, has an ugly interface, or is cumbersome to use. How or where it displays the data is not important either because I have numerous laptops and smart phones, if needed. The code reader and scan tool can be separate, makes no difference to me. As long as I can read codes, and see as much live data as possible, I would be a happy camper. Hopefully this makes sense. The convenience and efficiency you guys require as pros is not necessary for my purposes.

As far as code reader functionality goes, I live in California where Asian cars are king, particularly Toyota and Honda. I would like to find a code reader that reads all of the Enhanced OBDII codes; Manufacturer-specific, ABS, transmission, airbag, body, etc for both Asian and Domestic cars. Is this even possible without purchasing a full blown scan tool?

The low-end scan tools I've used were able to return (at least some) live data on everything except a mid-2000's Honda, which was extremely limited. Can anyone explain why, and what other scan tools are necessary for this Honda?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #410 by Andy.MacFadyen
How long is a piece of string? There are a few hand held scanners that are specifically aimed at 4+ system coverage of Asian vehicles I know over here in Europe Foxwell do this type of tool as do Autel.

The problem with handheld scanners is the size of the screen is usually too small to show decent graphing. For graphing lambda output I just use a plain OBDII dongle an OBD-Link with OBD Autodoctor software on the laptop and OBD Car Doctor Pro on the Android devices.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #413 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Options for the DIYer
There's some decent code readers that will display some data as well as abs and srs codes from Autel available at Harbor Freight. These are frequently on sale for right around $100.

Also, a much overlooked resource is used equipment. There's piles of "obsolete" snap-on scan tools on craigslist and e-bay that can run up to a few hundred dollars or more, depending on your budget.

I personally run an older version of the Verus that I purchased used from the Snap-on dealer for short money. My first pro level scanner was a Solus Pro, also used from Snap-on that cost me $800. I'm sure today you could get into the same machine for around $500 and have more data than most professional mechanics could read.

Before that I used just a $60 code reader with 2 buttons and some live data. I've since passed that down to a very good friend of mine who still uses it today to diagnose his Civic.

Like Andy says, there's TONS of bluetooth dongles that work with apple or android .

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #490 by Andy.MacFadyen
I found the very very cheap clone ELM327 OBD2 dongles can be very hit ot miss I had one that I kept in the car all the time it performed perfectly but I gave it to my son in-law to use on his Nissan Note only to find the identical replacement didn't work. The main problem with the cheap ones seems to the pins on the OBD2 connector don't make a good connection. So I payed just a little bit more for an OBD-Link Link to OBD-Link Website and it connects first time every time.

The market for diagnostic tools is moving very fast not that long ago I can remember paying £100+ (140$) to import a Memoscan U480 which was a good little basic code reader but couldn't even read live data I looked on eBay today and the same tool is selling for £11 including postage.

Autel's hand held range offer a lot of bang for your buck in the diy price range with good vehicle and systems coverage. The Autel range is so wide it can be confusing trying to find the model that best suits your needs. Whatever you buy beware of clones, couterfeits and pirated software, also it may be impossible to get updates for grey imports.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 8 months ago #898 by desertdude
Replied by desertdude on topic Options for the DIYer
Thanks, I have some follow up questions if you don't mind.

1. The vague specifications on the cheaper Autel units is frustrating. When they say "works with" Honda and Toyota, there must be exceptions here and there, yet none are disclosed. Would you agree the promised capability should be taken with a grain of salt?

2. This isn't just Autel, other manufacturers say something similar:
- Retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1) codes and pending codes
- Turns off Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and ABS/SRS warning lights, clears codes and resets monitors

If it does ABS/SRS codes like it says, wouldn't it also read B0, B3, C0, C3 codes as well? What am I not understanding?

3. Noah mentioned the glut of "obsolete" Snap-on scantools being sold on Craigslist and Ebay. What makes them obsolete, is it lack of new software updates?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #909 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Options for the DIYer
A lot of the coverage discrepancy issues are on a case to case basis. Even my Verus wont read airbag codes on a 2000 Honda CRV, but just because that car doesn't support the use of a scan tool.
A lot of the tools in the couple hundred dollar range are really just code readers, you'll have access to generic obd 2 codes and probably engine data, but you really have to spend some money to get manufacturer specific data and bi directional functionality like activating components and relays.
The cheapest I've seen with that kind of coverage was an Autel unit for right around $1100 at Harbor Freight.
Comparably, a well equipped Solus Pro with a fairly recent update and domestic software plus european software (you must make sure it has both if you want to work on Volkswagens and Volvos. Snap On does NOT cover SAAB), could be bought used from $500 to $800.
I don't think you can buy batteries for those machines anymore, but they get powered by the DLC as long as they are plugged in.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #958 by stevewp
Replied by stevewp on topic Options for the DIYer
If the car is a VW or Audi, I would recommend Ross Tech from www.ross-tech.com . I own this adapter and have used the software for years as a DIYer. I know it does some bi-directional things but have not explored this much.

Here is a comparison of some of the Code Scanners that do more than retrieve generic OBDII codes:

www.tstseminars.org/scantool.pdf

Looks like AES Wave sells a Bosch solution. I was not aware of this until I reviewed the flyer.

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds