A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Best OBD2 w/SRS & ABS Scanner for home use?

More
4 years 6 months ago #33991 by dougand3
I'm a newbie to scan tools. Need OBD2 w/ SRS &ABS. Need coverage for 05 Nissan, 08 Hyundai, 05 Kia, 11 Dodge, 18 Subaru, 01 Subaru. Mostly OBD2 functions but need SRS for 05 Nissan Frontier. Like to stay under $150 (unless a $200-250 scanner is far superior)
Narrowed down search to:
Autel AL619
Innovo 3150f
Launch CRP123
Launch 619
Launch x431 Vii+ - says SRS for 2006 and newer. Frontier is 2005.
Bluedriver - bluetooth connection is reported wonky on these.

Good ones above? Total dogs?

I didn't see a good OOBD2 to usb cable w/ software to use on a laptop or phone. Do they exist?

Thanks, Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34003 by storminc
Be Cautious of the V+. I contacted LaunchtechUSA and they stated that was not a supported device. I have heard this tool is a clone made in China under the name of Launch.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

More
4 years 6 months ago #34007 by dougand3
Thanks, storminc. I read some about Launch clones. I've decided to go w/ bluetooth module w/ smartphone or puter. Been emailing OBDLink and they respond well. Probably going with OBDLink MX+ - $80 on amazon.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34021 by ptebo1
I would go with autel.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34030 by dougand3
Thanks, ptebo1. I like the bluetooth-smartphone idea. Gonna order MX+. I'll report how it does.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34627 by Giannisrd
I have no experience other that an ELM 327 bluetooth scanner and car scanner paid version on my smartphone,however from my search i've concluded that the Launch CRP429C is one of the best for it's price.There are a lot of videos on youtube to watch people using them and that's very helpfull i think.
Also because i have read in the forum a lot of people are afraid of buying something that may come out to be a copy or counterfeit etc,i went on the launch official website en.cnlaunch.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=79&Id=307&FId=t3:79:3
and they provide a link to buy from amazon or aliexpress so i suppose that these seller will be official ones.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34691 by Tyler
I also ended up getting an MX+ for use with Forscan. The hardware is fantastic, the included software is not. :( I tried using it with a 2010 Altima and got frustrated pretty quickly. Code definitions are hit and miss. Tons of erroneous data PIDs that could have you chasing your tail.

Perhaps it'd work better on other makes? :silly:

More
4 years 5 months ago #34694 by Giannisrd
I don't know this but it seems expensive enought to not work.Try a different app on your phone, i use a different one than what is recommened for mine as i found it more accurate. However i think that it's not worthy spending this amount of money for smart phone diagnostics.It's better to save a bit and buy something like the one i mention above. At least this what i intend to do. :) :)

More
3 years 4 months ago #44567 by Andy.MacFadyen
The supplied software is about 20 years out of date.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
2 years 9 months ago #50023 by mathewdexter136
You can use LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner . This device is compatible with Nissan, Hyundai, Kia and many more. Price is around $150. It connected easily and read things from car. It relies on external power, no batteries. It comes with a USB cable to connect to a PC and a micro SD/USB card reader for updates.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #50067 by Andy.MacFadyen
Since this thread started there are a lot more low cost options for scantools that cover ABS and SRS and many other manufacturer specific  systems.
For anybody looking for coverage of  up to three manufacturers then look at the Bluetooth dongles  from Autel and Thinkdiag (Launch).
Because the software for these tools is modular,  if you want to cover more than a couple of manufactures they the yearly update cost becomes less attractive  but they are good tools and well worth the money.
I have only used these dongles with Android not Apple

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds