A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

OTC Genisys Touch question

More
4 years 6 months ago #33429 by EdsAutomotiveFL
Hey all. I had a question about my Genisys Touch. I currently have a 2005 Saturn Ion and had changed the PCM, but apparently the flashing didn't take when they programmed the VIN I provided so now I'm having issues with crank relearn, speedometer doesn't work, etc. I have a decent bi-directional scanner but I don't know how to get in and edit the VIN to correct the mistake. Is it possible or do I need a new PCM to be flashed all over again? Any help would be great. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33440 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic OTC Genisys Touch question
Pretty sure your out of luck. :( No scan tool I've seen or heard of will be able to edit the VIN in that PCM. That's entered into SPS during the programming.

I say go for another programming event. If you haven't already, triple check that your replacement PCM is the right part number. Also check that the VIN in the window and the door jamb match.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33442 by EdsAutomotiveFL
Well that's unfortunate. I have a friend of mine that has a Snapon D8 scanner, a quick Google search indicates that it can do a VIN programming bit requires a PC to download something to and you have to edit it. Not sure of the process but I thought I may be able to do the same.

As for the current VIN, the window and door jamb have the original, correct VIN, the one that is in the computer that shows up in my scanner is similar but a few of the digits are off, my auto-ID reads it as an Ion-3 or Redline and says it has a 2.0 engine instead of the 2.2 that it actually has. I think that's going to cause problems.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33443 by Tyler

EdsAutomotiveFL wrote: Well that's unfortunate. I have a friend of mine that has a Snapon D8 scanner, a quick Google search indicates that it can do a VIN programming bit requires a PC to download something to and you have to edit it. Not sure of the process but I thought I may be able to do the same.

If you do find out the Snappy will do it, please let me know.

As for the current VIN, the window and door jamb have the original, correct VIN, the one that is in the computer that shows up in my scanner is similar but a few of the digits are off, my auto-ID reads it as an Ion-3 or Redline and says it has a 2.0 engine instead of the 2.2 that it actually has. I think that's going to cause problems.

I'm surprised it starts at all! :silly:

More
4 years 6 months ago #33444 by EdsAutomotiveFL
Yeah this thing is a piece of work, I'm just trying to avoid paying $250-300 for another PCM. It was almost two years ago that I bought it and it's mostly been sitting, customers son drove it very little so we never knew there was a VIN issue until now. I'm going to contact the parts store I used and see if they can work something out on getting another one since they screwed this one up.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33458 by Tyler

EdsAutomotiveFL wrote: I'm going to contact the parts store I used and see if they can work something out on getting another one since they screwed this one up.

Ohhhhhh so you got it pre-programmed from the parts store. I gotcha.

If they won't help, maybe see if someone local will flash it? Or see if another shop will let you borrow their Tech2.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33459 by EdsAutomotiveFL
I contacted the parts store, told them someone screwed up on the VIN number before sending it. Turns out that particular PCM can't be sold that way, it has to be flashed ON the vehicle, which no one told me. Luckily I found a couple local mobile techs that do PCM programming so I'm going to call on Monday and see what they can do.

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds