A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Cat back pressure testing ---- gauges so easily knocked out of zero argh !!!!!

More
4 years 7 months ago #33255 by Andy.MacFadyen
Been testing an exhaust back pressure and as a result have now two pressure/vacuum gauges knocked well out of calibration. I notice Paul had the same issue in one of the recent YouTube videos.

Thinking it over using a gauge that withstands 30 or 40 psi would be less likely to get damaged but a 30psi/2bar a conventionl "Bourdon" or a diaphram type wouldn't be good for reading 1 or 2 psi --- so I am thinking a digital gauge even a turbo boost gauge might be a way to go.
I know I could hook up a pressure sensor to the scope but I am thinking just having something simple would be best

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 7 months ago #33420 by Noah
I remember that video. You know, mine was off zero recently too. I had to pop the lens and adjust the screw.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 7 months ago #33439 by Tyler

Noah wrote: I had to pop the lens and adjust the screw.

Yours still has the lens? Mine is long gone. :lol:

More
4 years 7 months ago #33448 by JeffBirt
Seems like an over pressure release valve, if you could find one with the correct release point, might work it you could 'T' it in without it being in the way.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33454 by Andy.MacFadyen

JeffBirt wrote: Seems like an over pressure release valve, if you could find one with the correct release point, might work it you could 'T' it in without it being in the way.

I am thinking of going down that route, I have what might be a suitable valve, I have also just ordered a couple of cheap digital gauges for other jibs so when I get some time i will try some things.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #33544 by JeffBirt
I was pondering this some more. Since the pressure relief will take some time to operate having a small orifice leading to the gauge might hep protect it a bit more. Crappy ASCII art follows. The idea is that in a dynamic system, when pressure is changing the orifice will slow down how fast the gauge reacts. In a static system (steady pressure) the orifice won't make any difference.

I give up on the ASCII art, the stupid forum SW keeps removing all the spaces!

' 'Pressure relief
' ' |
' ' |
input hose
T
' ' |
' '<> Orifice
' ' |
' 'Gauge[/code]
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by JeffBirt.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds