A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Finding a blown head gasket

More
7 years 4 months ago #4638 by nick.elias

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 4 months ago #4648 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Finding a blown head gasket
Bummer...
glad the tool works at least

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 4 months ago #4734 by nick.elias
Update: the dealership claims they didnt find any echaust gas in the coolant. Luckily i have plenty of warranty time. Im going to do a leak down this weekend and see if i find anything. I need to find another car with a known bad gasket.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #39474 by woaks6654
A blown head gasket will usually result in coolant getting into the oil. If you run the engine for a few minutes, pull the dipstick and the oil has a milky appearance, this is a sign of water, and likely a blown head gasket (and possibly warped cylinder head). It may also run a little rough, especially in the few seconds after startup. Also, sometimes a head gasket can fail around the high-pressure oil feed gallery going to the cylinder head which will cause a significant oil leak. If coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber, the exhaust may be more steamy than usual with a kind of sick sweet smell. There is a specialized mechanics tool that can also test for a blown head gasket fix , known in the industry as a "block tester" where a device that looks like a big turkey baster is plugged into the coolant bottle. A special fluid is included. Google it or check youtube for how to do this. The included special fluid will change colours if combustion gasses are present. Another specialized mechanics tool known as a leak down tester can sometimes reveal a blown head gasket, although the main purpose is to check for good valve and ring sealing. With a blown head gasket, you'll sometimes hear or see bubbles coming through the coolant when running a leak down test.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by woaks6654.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds