A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

NVH App

• Chad
  • Chad's Avatar Topic Author
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
4 years 8 months ago #31937 by Chad
NVH App was created by Chad
I have had NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) on my list of toys that I want for quite awhile. I was just about to buy the Picoscope NVH kit when I stumbled across this app on youtube. Comparing the setup of a laptop, labscope, NVH device, OBD-II link, and all the wires/cables that go along with it, to setting a smartphone on the dash....I decided to take a chance and give this app a try. The science and logic seemed to be there, but I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical. To my surprise, this app works very well! And, so far, has been spot-on!

This is a copy and paste of the review I left at the Playstore:

This app is great! In addition to the function of the app, it contains a WEALTH of information on NVH. The first few times I used it, I didn't really need NVH to diagnose the problem, but the app was spot-on with my conclusions. Faith in the app had been initiated. Today, I replaced the center support bearing on a two-piece drive shaft. I determined the customers complaint to be the bearing and the app agreed with my diagnosis...a 1st Order Driveshaft vibration. I had my mechanic replace the bearing and the U-joints. After the replacements, I went for a test drive and, indeed, the bearing "growl" was gone. But, now, I noticed what I thought was tire/road noise/vibration. The NVH App disagreed with me. The app diagnosis was a 2nd Order Driveshaft vibration. I went back to the shop and asked my mechanic if he marked the driveshaft pieces for re-assembly. He said that he did, but admitted that in his haste, it was not re-assemble with the marks matching. He corrected the alignment of the two-piece shaft and the 2nd Order Driveshaft vibration went away! This app has proven itself, to me! If you are considering an NVH solution, this app is the REAL DEAL!

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vi...tware.jacobkelly.nvh

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31945 by Matts Auto
Replied by Matts Auto on topic NVH App
Nice find. Did you also get the plx kiwi 3? If so how does that work for engine vibration?

• Chad
More
4 years 8 months ago #31957 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic NVH App
I have not used it.

The BT1A has been validated, by the makers of the app, to work. gopointtech.com/product/bt1a-for-apple-android/
It's, currently, out of stock.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31959 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic NVH App
No reason why it shouldn't give good results the only issue would be mounting in the vehicle.
Bosch have a free NVH app for Android but that won't analyse the results so you would need a bit of vibration engineer knowledge.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 8 months ago #31960 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic NVH App
I was looking back over the the Bosch iNVH app to see if it had been improved when I found this

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:

• Chad
More
4 years 8 months ago #31962 by Chad

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I was looking back over the the Bosch iNVH app to see if it had been improved when I found this

I'll have to check that one out and post a comparison. My guess is the price difference would be, mainly, justified by the EXTRAS that the NVH app has.

i.e. it has a data base of gear ratios that you can look up based on manufacturer RPO codes, and much more. I'm curious how much the "Shimmy Diagnoser" gives you.

I'll check it out and post back.

• Noah
  • Away
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 8 months ago #31970 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic NVH App
So you just set the phone on the dash and it let's you know where the vibration is coming from?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

• Chad
More
4 years 8 months ago #31980 by Chad
It won't PIN-POINT the problem.

In a nut-shell,

It determines what KIND of vibration you have, based on the vibration frequency. A wheel-speed vibration will have a different frequency than a drive-shaft vibration. You must enter data values for Tire size, # of cylinders, and gear ratios. A First Order wheel-speed vibration will have 1 vibration per revolution. (First order means 1 shake per revolution. 2nd order means 2 shakes per revolution. 3rd order...3 shakes per revolution, etc). The frequency of the vibration will match the frequency of the wheel turning. A driveshaft vibration will have a different frequency.

A wheel speed vibration can be ANYTHING that is turning the same speed as the wheels...tire, rim, rotor, wheel bearing, axle...Same with Drive-shaft, and engine vibrations.

Tire, Drive-shaft, and Engine are the 3 different groups of vibration.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Chad
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31982 by Chad

Chad wrote: I'm curious how much the "Shimmy Diagnoser" gives you.

I'll check it out and post back.

I just installed the Shimmy Diagnoser. After opening the app, the first step is to enter gear ratios.....I don't know the gear ratios. :( You will NEED an outside information source, and have to look up, and enter, the gear ratios.

With the NVH App, you can select Year, Make, and Model and the gear ratios will be entered for you, on newer cars (15 years +/-, with more models to come).
For vehicles that are older, the app has a data base of RPO (Regular Production Option) codes and gear ratios.....the information is there and given to you, but you have to manually enter it into the app.

I'll post back, later, on a performance comparison.

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32948 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic NVH App
Any further thoughts on the NVH app, Chad? Still a worthwhile purchase?

I'm considering the app before going to the full blown Pico kit.

• Chad
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #32949 by Chad
In my opinion, it is well worth the price. The built-in data base makes using it as easy as entering YMM (Year, Make, and Model). Even for the vehicles not in the YMM database (which they say is always growing), you can enter the RPO (Regular Production Option) codes, and it will look up the gear ratio's for you. However, you have to write them down and manually enter them, for each gear. This is what, in my opinion, what makes it worth the purchase price. With the "Shimmy Diagnoser", you are totally on your own, as far as finding and entering gear ratios. The convenience of always having it with you is nice, too.

I would recommend it to anyone that understands that it is a tool, not a silver bullet identifier.

Even though I am happy with this app and I think it is "mostly" adequate, I will still end up buying the Pico NVH kit, as well. I want to be able to move a magnetic mounted sensor around...stick it to different things and look at amplitude changes. You are kind of limited, in this area, with the app.

Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
4 years 5 months ago #34054 by dfends@hotmail.com
Replied by dfends@hotmail.com on topic NVH App
Good afternoon

I have the nvh for the pico scope and i have used other tools but with my experience i the nvh on the pico is a awesome tool worth every penny and it paid for itself quite quickly .

More
4 years 5 months ago #34260 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic NVH App
That is a cool app. I'm going to check it out too. NVH school was more interesting than a lot of the guys gave it credit for. There are some basic formulas you can use to determine the source of the vibration, if you have some of that info that was mentioned above, like gear ratio. You can pic up a sirometer for about $20 to determine the frequency, or use an app, then plug in your numbers. This method worked very well on all of the bugged cars in the training center shop. I imagine the app just does all of the math for you and based on the output, knows what components would cause that type of vibe - wheels vs driveline vs engine.

Like Chat said, a first order vibration occurs once per revolution and a second would be twice, like a 4 cylinder engine having 2 firing events per revolution. 6 cylinder having 3.

We used this method to determine that a rotor had excessive lateral runout, an engine mount bolt was contacting the frame, and a driveshaft was missing a bolt. The "problems" were rather obvious, but the point was that being lead in the right direction was very clear based on the math.

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds