A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Power Probe 3 vs Power Probe 4

More
4 years 10 months ago #30820 by John Curtis
I have the PP3 master kit and have been considering also getting the IV.

Any good reasons to get or not to get the IV?

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30921 by Tyler
Following along. ;) I also own the PP3. I WANT a PP4, but can't justify it because of how infrequently I use the PP3. :silly:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 10 months ago #30940 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Power Probe 3 vs Power Probe 4
My PP4 is finding it's way out of my tool box more and more.
While it does have some more useful features that the PP3 does not, there have only been a hand full of times I've used them. I've got other tests I use to verify driver integrity, and don't trust the accuracy of the meter enough to do min-max voltage testing. But once it's out of the box I'll use it all day. I'll be digging through test leads and figuring out how want to hook up my meter or use my test light without activating a ground side switched circuit and I'm just like "oh yeah, the power probe will do that!".

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 8 months ago #32346 by Doodah14
I have a pp3, use it ALOT. I've looked into the 4. It seems to me that at some point you cross a line to where a scope or dvom has to come out. In my opinion that point is between the pp3 and 4. Once I'm passed basic voltage. I like to have something deadly accurate. But, I dont own a 4. So my opinion may be nil. Just my 2 cents.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #32347 by Andy.MacFadyen
Power Probe isn't a great voltmeter, because they draw more current than s DMM or scope. All voltmeters put some load on the circuit and if the circuit is high resistance such as a speed sensor this will pull down the voltage. A perfect voltmeter would have s infinite resistance, a normal digital meter comes pretty close with a resistance of 10 million Ohms.
This why if you measure the voltage on wheel speed sensor with a Power Probe, a Scope and DMM you will get different readings but they will read much closer when checking battery voltage.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 8 months ago #32685 by Tutti57
Eric O did a great video on the PP4. it's like an hour and a half long where he basically learns how to use it and does all of the functions on a live vehicle. I noticed he started using it a lot more after that video. You can download the user manual to see what some of the newer functions can do. I think it's a steal for $150.

Nissan Technician - ASE L1 Master Tech

More
4 years 8 months ago #32919 by vb4me
I dont think there are big enough differences between the 2 to upgrade. If you were needing to replace then i would choose the pp4. I find it a great tool for quick tests and having several functions in the one tool is very handy but obviously for more critical work a scope is my goto option.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 8 months ago #33059 by GypsyR
I really like my PP4 but if I already had a PP3 and knew what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought it. The extra features I don't really use. I see no good reason to upgrade from a 3 really. In my case the shop had a 3 but I wanted my own and for the small price difference I saw no reason NOT to get a 4.

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds