A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Low compression: Piston-to-cylinder or head gasket?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29337 by PDM
First of all, this place is booming. I need to visit much more often.

I was looking at a start - stall on a high mileage, poorly maintained Honda 3.5L. I could keep it running with the throttle which produced a lot of white smoke out the tailpipe. It had very low compression (50psi) across one bank. Smoke in the spark plug hole entered the crank case. NO smoke made it into the coolant system. It was already destined for the scrapper, so even a head gasket was out of the question.

So, my question is, could a head gasket cause low compression and smoke enter the crank case through the oil passages? OR Is it for sure losing compression around the piston? Is there a way to make this determination?

Also, I didn't dig far enough to see if it had jumped time and damaged the pistons. The problem did't happen all at once. It worsened over a couple of weeks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29338 by Chad
To determine where the compression is going, you need to roll it up on TDC of compression stroke and pressurize the cylinder. Now LISTEN to where the air is going.

Exhaust pipe = exhaust valves
Intake Manifold = intake valves
Dip-stick tube = rings
Radiator Bubbles / adjacent spark plug hole = head gasket

Here is Eric the Car Guy using a bleed-down tester. The tool helps determine how BAD the loss is, but it is not necessary. Adapt shop air to a spark plug hole, and listen.

This may, or may not, answer your question. But, it might be useful.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, PDM, Columbus450

More
4 years 11 months ago #29340 by Columbus450
??? Radiator/bubbles that should be a head gasket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDM

More
4 years 11 months ago #29345 by Andy.MacFadyen
I am willing to bet it is the rear bank of cylinders

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 11 months ago #29346 by PDM

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I am willing to bet it is the rear bank of cylinders

That would be a good bet. What's the culprit on these?

More
4 years 11 months ago #29347 by PDM
Just so I'm clear... It's definitely losing compression into the crankcase. The whole bank makes me think it's not leaking around the pistons.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29365 by Tyler
You could theoretically be getting leakage into the crankcase if the cylinder head and/or block is warped badly enough. Like, they ran it out of coolant, and had it glowing red hot before it shut off. :silly: Usually, when that happens, there's also external leakage of coolant/oil.

FWIW, I don't have confidence that smoke would make it's way back to the radiator. I've never tried it on a known bad car? :huh: But I wonder if a leak down tester would have produced bubbles in the radiator. Not being critical, just speculating.

More
4 years 11 months ago #29395 by PDM
Good point. If the head gasket was bad enough to leak into the oil passages, it may not be able to build enough pressure to push through the cooling system. This thing did have more leaks than a screen door so I can’t promise it wasn’t leaking oil out under the head.

Also, I use a homemade smoke machine that can supply more air than a leakdown. I’ve found it useful when there’s not enough resistance to do a proper leakdown

More
4 years 11 months ago #29782 by PDM
I believe this is the answer. Any type of low pressure gauge would work. Wish I had thought of that

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #29824 by Tyler

PDM wrote: I believe this is the answer. Any type of low pressure gauge would work. Wish I had thought of that

That was a great video. :lol: I've done the same thing with my homebrew FirstLook sensor.

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t....html?start=17#23481
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds