ScannerDanner Premium Customer Support (15 Mar 2019)

Please add This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as a contact in your email system. I am having a very hard time communicating with some of you because my reply messages are ending up in your spam folder! So please check your spam folders too!

× A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

I killed a MAF with brake cleaner

• Deltron
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2019 17:24 #28593 by Deltron
I killed a MAF with brake cleaner was created by Deltron
Today I was chasing an intermittent misfire on an 05 Subaru Forester. P0301, 2, 4 codes. It was a weird one, the stumble/miss would come and go at random. Scoping it looked like a lean/no fuel misfire. I pulled the MAF and it was dirty so I cleaned it with a couple quick shots of brake clean then shake it out, like I always have. Reinstalled MAF and car now starts and dies immediately, every time. You could get it to stay running if you gave it quite a bit of throttle (50%+), but I managed to get an idle MAF reading of 86g/s. Tossed that lump of shit into the trash and the new MAF seems to have solved the misfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
12 Apr 2019 14:41 #28627 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic I killed a MAF with brake cleaner
Been in the same situation with a Nissan. :( Lean trims, hesitation, scan data is screaming incorrect air measurement. It's a comeback on another tech, so we can't sell a MAF. I suggest attempting a cleaning, and the boss is all for it. :silly: A shot of brake cleaner later, and the MAF is d-e-a-d. Now we gotta eat a new MAF.

In both cases, I think the MAF was already on the way out. :angry: This is why I hesitate to clean a MAF any more, even with the specific MAF cleaner.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.587 seconds