A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Generic Oscilloscope?

More
5 years 1 week ago #28467 by tmcquinn
Let's just say my tool budget is being heavily scrutinized right now. I forgot that I had a cheap oscilloscope that we used on my older son's senior project. Can I get any use out of this for auto troubleshooting or will have I have to buy so many doodads to make it work that I'll wish I just spent the $$ for the stuff you guys use? This is basically free for me.

"I'll never know it all but I'm willing to settle for knowing where to find the answer!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28483 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Generic Oscilloscope?
Sorry, your attachment didn't work out. :( What brand and model of scope is it?

If you're looking for an affordable scope, there's definitely options. Andy has a fantastic thread going that covers this very subject:

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...-budget.html?start=0

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #28484 by tmcquinn
Replied by tmcquinn on topic Generic Oscilloscope?
I am so sorry, my man. It shows just fine on my Windows 10 machine and I see zilch on my Chromebook. I thought it worked.

It's a Velleman HPS140i. I nearly forgot I had it. If I just need to view a waveform it might be sufficient. If the automotive scopes are injecting sine waves, square waves, whatever, and looking at the result, then I probably need to save my pennies. I'll try to do some homework on it. I'll start with the thread you recommend.

HPS140i

"I'll never know it all but I'm willing to settle for knowing where to find the answer!"
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by tmcquinn.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28487 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Generic Oscilloscope?
No worries, thanks for the link! :cheer:

I see no reason you couldn't get some use out of it with automotive testing? You won't get the detail out of it that a bigger scope would provide, but that's OK. The only real issue I have is the lack of a trigger, which'll make viewing faster signals tough.

But hey, it's free! :silly: I see a BNC input, which means test leads are plentiful. AESWave makes some fantastic shielded leads in varying lengths and colors.

www.aeswave.com/ST3-Shielded-Test-Leads-p9129.html

Since we're trying to be budget conscious, we can throw in a single flexible backprobe and an alligator clip set .
The following user(s) said Thank You: tmcquinn

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #28498 by Andy.MacFadyen
I used an earlier version Velleman HP handheld scope for a while it was quite useful but be sure and use an attenuator on it if you use on ignitions or injectors ---- I zapped mine.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tmcquinn

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds