A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

GDS 2 behavior reading codes GM MDI

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #27955 by steelmesh
I am using VXDIAG Nano with 2017 GDS2 software.

In GDS2, I nagivate to: [Diagnostics] -> [Vehicle Diagnostics] -> [Vehicle DTC Information]

This is where all heck breaks loose:

2013 Cruze with CEL: warning lights come on and off on the dash, service airbag and traction control cycle on and off every 10 sec for example among other lights
2014 Cruze no CEL: warning lights come on and off on the dash, service airbag and traction control cycle on and off every 10 sec for example among other lights
2014 Volt with issues: sets faults, energy mode changes, radio resets, propulsion power reduced, engine starts running and can't shut if off in module controls, shows many U-codes for low speed bus
2017 Volt with CEL: no problems with warning lights cycling, and the codes it read matched what the dealer showed on a legit scanner

I am mainly diagnosing my 2014 Volt, it will not drive in gear after plugging in the charger (240V or the Voltec charger). You need to disconnect the 12V battery, then you can drive it, but I'm not able to charge the car because it locks you out every time. Luck I'm guessing, I read a couple codes with the Centec the first morning this issue happened, P0AF8 Hybrid Battery System Voltage and P0D22 Battery Charging System. Later, the Centec stopped picking up these codes (I can't access the module anymore).

I towed it to the dealer, and they kicked off by doing the 'parts swapper' routine. They thought it needed a 12V battery, only $330, and wasn't sure if it would fix it!! I payed them the diagnosis fee and took my car back home. I do 99.5% of all vehicle repairs, I have 4 registered vehicles atm, doing this for about 15 years now since I graduated. I am also HV trained with some experience custom instrumenting HV circuits on EVs. The only way I'm going back to the dealer is if I diagnosis the issue as being Voltec related as I am still under warranty there.

Is it possible that reading codes in GDS 2 via [Diagnostics] -> [Vehicle Diagnostics] -> [Vehicle DTC Information] would cause problems like flashing dash lights and creating faults, like if the vehicle side has major problems? Or does this never happen and likely the Thaitanium scanner? The 2014 Volt goes absolutely ape-crap when you read the codes, however if you go module by module it doesn't cause faults or anomalies like it does in the other screen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28079 by steelmesh
I purchased a genuine MDI (pre-owned) last week and also got a genuine GDS2 license this weekend. The Volt does not go crazy, it only shows the P0AF8 code (and generic P1E00) I was originally chasing. However, it shows a loss of communication with BCM history code, which is likely from the piece-of-trash VXDIAG GM software. I followed the diagnosis steps for P0AF8 which eventually led to checking HV cables for resistance and replacing the on-board charger which are Voltec components. My car is still under the Voltec warranty so I had it shipped to the dealer yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds