A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

In the market for a new scanner

More
5 years 1 month ago #27822 by Greco1490
Currently I have the snap on versus pro and I really enjoy it but unfortunately not able to update it anymore.

I’ve been trying out the Mac tools MDT10 and I think it’s very confusing and there is basically to much to get to one thing.

What’s your thoughts? I like the new snap on but the intelligence part is pure garbage same with the Mac tools version.

Looking to get some feed back on both new units thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 1 month ago #27823 by Noah
I have had the same issue with the MDT10.
It seems impossible to perform functions without dealer level training, and if I worked for the dealer I'd have the factory tool!
It did have much more functionality on a 2012 C class Mercedes-Benz than my Solus, but I was able to navigate the Solus with confidence.
I was never sure exactly what I was doing or looking for with the MDT10.
I've been test driving a Launch here and there and it's similarly counterintuitive. Although stepping out of ones comfort zone does come with a learning curve...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 1 month ago #27857 by GypsyR
None on the Mac. We also have a Launch and find it can do some stuff on imports that Snap On can't, but I agree, it's kind of difficult to dig through on some stuff.
Our shop has a Zeus, and I find the "intelligent" part more annoying than useful. Happily I own the exact same scanner (internally) in the Verus Edge. Same exact thing, minus the big price tag and extra "intelligence". Doesn't do everything but I like how it works and love my value for the dollar. (I bought it used.)
We don't have an Autel but you might look into one. Many people like them. From what I've seen they are a little easier to use than Launches but every bit as capable and maybe even more so.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28211 by JarheadDiagnostics
I recently just upgraded from the Matco Maximus 2.0 to the 3.0. I have found not all scanners can do everything, like my shop has a Zues and today we used my 3.0 to diag a transmission issue on a Ford Transit that the Zues was having troubles with. Also with the 3.0 and the new Maxfix it allows quick look ups and confirmed fixes. Also with the Tech to Tech feature, if you're having issues with a vehicle someone else can remote in to your scanner and assist with the diag. I also was looking in to Autel, they seem to be a real good scanner for a great price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28532 by Nelson60
No experience with the mac scanner but wanted to comment on the Launch Diagun IV I purchased last September. (We have an older Autel 908 Pro that is about two years outdated in our Indy shop).
The depth of coverage and capabilities on this Launch scanner is very deep on European cars; something that SnapOn can not touch. I had a 14 yo Land Rover in the shop last week and the extensive about of adaptations, coding, and even key coding for this vehicle was impressive. The interface on the Launch is not as smooth as on the Autel tools, but still manageable.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28535 by Andy.MacFadyen
Launch is very good not only on Land-Rover but also MG-Rover and Chinese SAIC MG

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds