A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Ammeter test

More
5 years 2 months ago #27177 by Antorozco1
Ammeter test was created by Antorozco1
Hey Paul im a member of your premium channel and all your videos are fantastic. Quick question I would like to know how can I test a circuit to see how much amps I’m getting through a shift solenoid. I know how to set up the ammeter I just want to know where to put the leads in the circuit? Thanks looking forward to your response

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #27191 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Ammeter test
You will need to look at the wiring diagram for your vehicle. However a word of caution on using a conventional ammeter or multi-meter as an ammeter, with a normal ammeter you will have to break into the circuit and put the meter in series with the circuit. Most multi-meters are fused at 10 amps and it is all to easy to blow the fuse either from a short in th circuit or simple forgetting to swap the lead to the correct socket when you want to measure voltage.
If the fuse blows there is no obvious warning -- the meter will still function as a volt meter.

For this reason most techs use a DC current clamp (either a clamp meter or a separate clamp attached to multi-meter or oscilloscope ) or one of those old school clip meters as these are more reliable and non-invasive to the circuit.

As a DC clamp meter I use a Uni-T UT203 which is low cost and a decent general purpose multi-meter.

Clip on Ammeter less accurate but simple.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 2 months ago #27194 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Ammeter test
Also see this thread Ammeter Use as jumper

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds