A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Snap On Thermal Imager

More
5 years 2 months ago #26828 by Tacitus043
The Snap-On man just showed me their latest thermal imager; it seems like it would make an incredibly useful tool. I was wondering if any of you guys have one, or have used one before, and what you think about the imager's diagnostic usefulness. I really want to get one, but I figured I would ask around before I spent the money, thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26834 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Snap On Thermal Imager
I have it. Thermal imaging, in it's self, is a VERY handy and time-saving tool, at times. My first imager was the Flir one. www.flir.com/flirone/ I fell in love with it, imediately. It is an Affordable Introduction to Thermal imaging, at less than $250. Battery life sucked, though. Totally quit working after little over a year. Flir is the Top-of-the-Line, when it comes to thermal imaging. Most people will argue that the Snap-on is way over-priced, when compared to Flir. And they are right. Snap-on will argue that their database of "known good" thermal images justifies the cost.

I recommend comparing with the various models Flir offers.
www.flir.com/promotions/open-box-refurbs...uEAAYAyAAEgJxt_D_BwE
Then, choose.

Bottom Line...You will not regret your purchase, either way you go.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Chad.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26837 by Matts Auto
Replied by Matts Auto on topic Snap On Thermal Imager
I've had the snapon thermal imager for about 4 months now & I like it. Yea it it's a little over priced but for the amount I've used it & time it saved me it will definitely pay for itself. You'll find a lot of uses you never thought of before you owned it. It's already paid for itself for me but I'm also a volunteer fireman (many more uses there).

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26838 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Snap On Thermal Imager
I've no interest in the Elite at triple the price of a C3 for basically the same thing. Noe the Flir C3 is really tempting me. The C3 has a regular camera that overlays a picture over the thermal image and makes it a heck of a lot easier to figure out exactly what you're looking at. Seriously nice for the price.
Doesn't hurt that the Cornwell truck sells them.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by GypsyR.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26845 by Andy.MacFadyen
This is something I have been wanting for a while , the prices are starting to come down rapidly on the Chinese clones.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28533 by Nelson60
Replied by Nelson60 on topic Snap On Thermal Imager
You might want hold off on any purchase for a bit as FLIR is supposed to release their thermal imager designed for automotive use sometime the first half of this.
The part number is TG275. The specs show it having the desirable features of the C3 among other things
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mhedrick

More
4 years 11 months ago #29035 by koto57
Replied by koto57 on topic Snap On Thermal Imager
When it comes to thermal imagers Flir is to thermal what Pico is to scopes. I don't know what the snap on specs are but in my opinion you can't do better than flir. I have the E60bx, overkill for the automotive trade, but I am also a level 3 thermographer. By the way flir stands for forward looking infra red.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds