A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

CAN BUS and Wireshark.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24841 by Mitchroberson
With me being a full time computer guy. I spend a lot of time in wireshark which is a tool that can help view packets on the wire. I just recently read where you can use wireshark to read CAN BUS communications. I do not have the money yet for the adapter but will be purchasing it soon. to see if I can make heads or tells of the communication stream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24844 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic CAN BUS and Wireshark.
Interesting. B) I wonder if this also works with LIN networks? Where do you get the adapter? I'm assuming it's some kind of DLC connector.

I've always been curious what's being said on these networks, even though it rarely matters to the final diagnosis. :silly:

More
5 years 5 months ago #24848 by Mitchroberson
CL3000 is the name of one of the connectors I found. Still digging But it sure looks like it is possible to see what is being said. I agree overall diagnostics it may not matter. But still seems cool and interesting. And from what I have seen you can graph many of the commands in a way similar to a scan tool. but again still digging and learning.
there was a short blip on youtube about it from CSS.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24853 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic CAN BUS and Wireshark.
Ouch, those things are not cheap! I'm all about playing with stuff that's above my paygrade, but not for $400+. :lol:

Still very interested in whatever else you dig up on the subject.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24866 by Mitchroberson
No they are not cheap and not sure it is worth it yet. So still diggint

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

More
5 years 4 months ago #25566 by brandondill
Interested in this as well since I work in the dealer and get most of the electrical issues with a lot of them being CAN faults

More
5 years 4 months ago #25629 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic CAN BUS and Wireshark.
This would just be a novelty. Very interesting, but no need to know what information is being sent over the BUS for diagnostics

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds