A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

A/C speed sensor - DC reference voltage from controller

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #24758 by stimpe
I have a general theory question I guess, sorry if this is a basic one :P

Is this common/has anyone seen on speed sensor circuits (transmission/engine) of the A/C 2 wire inductive type - controllers outputting a small 0.2-0.5v DC reference voltage? Just so the controller knows the circuit integrity is in tact
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by stimpe. Reason: DC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24771 by Tyler
I find that bias voltages on variable reluctance sensors are common, but not necessarily in the .2-.5V range. Usually more like 2.5V or 5V. Nissan for many years used a .3V bias, but on their O2 signal circuits. :silly:

Is there a specific vehicle you're testing?

More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #24791 by stimpe
Ah thanks - 'bias' voltage term helped me find my answer in one of danners O2 sensor/bias voltage vids. No specific vehicle - just trying to wrap my brain around whats happening from a theory stand point/general understanding of controller to speed sensor relationship I guess.

I just found it weird how the controller will output a DC bias voltage to an active AC voltage sending sensor, na mean? - But maybe the AC voltage doesnt matter so much as the frequency its sending?

So hypothetically would that be an AC + DC mixed voltage circuit?
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by stimpe. Reason: vehicle

More
5 years 5 months ago #24797 by Tyler
Oh yeah, it's weird! :silly: Definitely throws you for a loop the first time you see it.

From what I've gathered, the module that the variable reluctance sensor reports to is mostly concerned about when the signal crosses a voltage threshold. It 'sees' 2.5V (for an example) as zero, and only sees a pulse when the signal goes higher or lower by a predetermined amount. How much higher or lower past that threshold isn't important to the module, just that the signal crossed it.

Chapter 21 in Paul's book has an awesome capture of this taking place, if you haven't seen it already:

Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #24803 by stimpe
that explains my question perfect, thank you! I might have to buy this book now :)

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds