A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Secondary Ignition pickup issues

More
5 years 6 months ago #23990 by pdberg27
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. Please let me know if it is in the correct category and if there are any issues.

So my question is, when I am using the picoscope secondary ignition pickup part number MI074 with my 4 channel picoscope, I am not getting a good usable waveform. I am using it on a 2003 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 and hooking the probe around each individual plug wire. I used the same probe on a 94 Chevy with a 350 in it around the main coil to distributor wire and I could see all 8 waveforms okay with good detail.

When I first go into the settings for the picoscope I have to invert the image or else it is backwards. Is that a clue for my issue? Is anyone else running into this? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #23991 by Tyler
Having to invert the waveform isn't unusual, depending on the firing polarity of the system you're looking at.

Couldn't get a decent waveform off the '03? You might have to play with the voltage scale, if you haven't tried already. Also, you might have better luck moving the probe clip closer to the coil, or take the clip off the plug wire and play with putting it on the coil itself. This is usually how I get the cleanest waveform on those systems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds