A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

snap on 18.4 update

More
5 years 6 months ago #23883 by cheryl hartkorn
does anybody know what is newly added to the update?? looking to update from 17.2 to 18.4 but wont if there isnt anything good added.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #23886 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic snap on 18.4 update
www.snapon.com/display/1068/Upgrade184/1...geGuide_NA_FINAL.pdf

If that link work. Boils down to a LOT of a ADAS stuff which I suppose is wonderful for body shops doing late model stuff with lane cameras and such. That's not me. One guy chimed in saying it will now program 2015 Chevy truck keys.
There's big splash screen before you scan a car sometimes that tells you to BE SURE TO PLUG YOUR SCANNER IN or some such waste of my time. It disappears pretty quickly but is still annoying. Someone decided to "group" the modules according to whatever arrangement scheme suited THEM. The other day I had a Dodge where the section "Body Control Module" contained.....the Body Control Module. Imagine! It's pretty asinine and pointless.

There's something where they want you to upload your customer info to "the cloud"(someone else's computer). Altus, I think. A quick skim of it and it looked like something our shop with a not entirely dependable internet connection would never ever use. So that's all I know.

I would imagine/hope they have added bits and pieces of coverage like the key programming above but you'd have to have looked for such in an earlier version without luck and then looked again in the new update to spot them really. But so far I 'm not impressed. My personal Verus is on 17.4 and staying there at least until 19.2 it looks like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #23888 by ptebo1
Replied by ptebo1 on topic snap on 18.4 update
The key coding feature is worth it in my opinion. Previously Ford was the only one we could program new keys for. To be clear I am talking about erasing ALL keys from the immobilizer and programming a new "master" key as some manufacturers call it (an event where the customer has lost all keys). previous software versions could only "add" keys with an existing master key. With 18.4 you can program Many different manufacturers keys without any previously programmed keys...
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by ptebo1. Reason: insert attachment and add information.

More
5 years 6 months ago #23903 by cheryl hartkorn
Replied by cheryl hartkorn on topic snap on 18.4 update
you dont need a scanner to program chevy keys anyway. the 30 minute key learn. guess im going to wait until 19.2. thanks for the link you posted

More
5 years 4 months ago #25639 by Burt
Replied by Burt on topic snap on 18.4 update
Just checking around for more reviews on 18.4. I'll take GypsyR's advice, but wanted to hear if is slowing down the tool as I heard from 2 other users. Not much reviews out there. I'm at 18.2.1 at the moment. Everything is fine and dandy.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25649 by Matts Auto
Replied by Matts Auto on topic snap on 18.4 update

Burt wrote: Just checking around for more reviews on 18.4. I'll take GypsyR's advice, but wanted to hear if is slowing down the tool as I heard from 2 other users. Not much reviews out there. I'm at 18.2.1 at the moment. Everything is fine and dandy.

. I haven't noticed any slower activity with 18.4 on my solus edge

More
5 years 4 months ago #25655 by GypsyR
The Zeus is a Windows tablet and THAT is what bogs it down compared to other scanners. I personally can live with the tradeoff of speed for the extra capabilities. But we do have a Solus Edge too so when we want just a quick code read that's there. Being a totally different design and running a different OS it's very snappy.
I do wish Snap On had gifted the Zeus with some more upscale hardware like a Surface tablet and it is a bit pokey. I haven't noticed the slightest change in speed since the last update, not would I expect to. The Snap On software isn't really what bogs the machine down.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25658 by Burt
Yes I heard it works well with your platform.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25659 by Burt
So GypsyR did you update to 18.4. I read your post in the snap on forum also that you passed on it. Just not sure if it’s worth it for me at this time. I don’t really see to many newer model vehicles that much. My shop mainly has commerial trucks both silverados and F150-f250 and F350s in the 2008 to 2015. The 18.2 covers it fairly good.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25665 by GypsyR
The shop Zeus is on that three year update contract so naturally it's on 18.4.
Since I don't see the value yet, my personal Verus Edge is on 17.4 and staying there unless something really interesting comes up in the 19 or 20 updates.
Our shop Solus Edge is on 16.4 I think. We have seen no real reason to update it nor to trade it in on an Apollo. Yet.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #25684 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic snap on 18.4 update

GypsyR wrote: Since I don't see the value yet, my personal Verus Edge is on 17.4 and staying there unless something really interesting comes up in the 19 or 20 updates.

Let me know if you find something worthwhile in an update. B) My Modis is on 17.2. I WANT to update, but have a really hard time justifying the cost.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Tyler.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds