A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

I cant stop myself.. do I have a problem..

More
5 years 6 months ago #23734 by ShaoLin68
Hey guys and gals,

I am a DIY mechanic who is self taught.. I am also a recovering "parts cannon loader".. Before I found Paul's channel, I would get the code, replace the part the code said was bad, and pray for the best.. if it didnt work, it took everything in me not to throw a torque wrench, or nearest heavy object through the windshield.. lol..

but I am not a person who can just change one part.. if my crank sensor is bad, i will replace both crank and camshaft.. if one O2 is bad, I will replace both.. if one spark plug is bad, I will change them all.. you see my problem... lol..

I have access to a shop that has cars I wish to go work on.. mostly because the owner believes it cant be fixed.. armed with a gently used modis, and a hantek o-scope, laptop, and Paul's techniques, I want to learn how to really BE a technician.. not just a parts changer.. now I am going to find out exactly what is wrong with the car.. then I am ONLY going to tell the shop what I have found, and let the shop owner decide..

what do you think? or am I overreacting..

Thanks for the input..
Shawn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #23735 by Tyler

ShaoLin68 wrote: but I am not a person who can just change one part.. if my crank sensor is bad, i will replace both crank and camshaft.. if one O2 is bad, I will replace both.. if one spark plug is bad, I will change them all.. you see my problem... lol.

Personally, I don't really see a problem with this reasoning. :huh: I think a lot of it comes down to personal experience and a case-by-case basis. Nissan with a bad crank sensor? Absolutely change cam and crank. Honda with a bad crank sensor? I'm fine with leaving the cam alone. An upstream O2 heater is open? Sure, change both upstreams. This'll likely prevent a (perceived) comeback in the future.

I have access to a shop that has cars I wish to go work on.. mostly because the owner believes it cant be fixed.. armed with a gently used modis, and a hantek o-scope, laptop, and Paul's techniques, I want to learn how to really BE a technician.. not just a parts changer.. now I am going to find out exactly what is wrong with the car.. then I am ONLY going to tell the shop what I have found, and let the shop owner decide..

I'm OK with this, too. Ultimately, you won't be able to decide how to fix the car, only make recommendations to the shop owner. I would, however, carefully document your findings. You're not going to be able to help a shop owner who can't listen to recommendations. :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShaoLin68

More
5 years 6 months ago #23747 by Andy.MacFadyen
With Tyler on this, some items have a service life which is shortened or lengthened depending on service conditions and driver habit. Back before the 1990's spark plug life was regarded as 10,000 to 15.000 miles (20,000km) in Europe most dealers changed the plugs on engines at 5,000 mile service. Spark plugs, ignition systems, fuel systems and oils have greatly improved since them and access particularly with engine covers and transverse V6s has got worse but spark plugs do still have a finite life and excess spark plug wear can zap a coil pack so if you find one bad plug on the rear bank of a V6 change the lot. If you find a bad COP on the rear bank of a v6 suggest renewing at least the rear three coil packs and plugs.
It is different with some other items wheel bearings and suspension and driveshaft joints for example tend to be random faults.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: ShaoLin68

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds