A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

What tool would you chose to day of the four?

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #23245 by k4chevy383
Hello,
I'm getting ready to buy a full use tool and want to know what is the best to buy new?
1. Mac MDT10
2. Pico 4425
3. MS908 Autel Elite
4. Try to get someone to sell me an update for the Verus with xp the last update so as to be able to continue using it past 2012.
I would list the snap-on but got burnt and can't up date it on the verus.
I would really like to know as I'm going to buy this for me at 63 years of age and then my sons will use it later on.

Thank you for your time and would like to know all that makes your responses to why?
Ken
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by k4chevy383.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #23250 by Andy.MacFadyen
I take this is for pro-use or serious hobby use ? For hobby use you likely be dealing with a narrower range of manufacturers cars than a pro shop that has to deal with huge range and stay 100% up to date. I have come to the conclusion it is impossible to find a scantool that can be maintained up to date for more than 3 to 4 years so spending mega bucks on tool and updates doesn't make much sense unless the tool is getting used day in day out.
Of your list I would choose the Autel but be aware there are a huge number of pirated clones and grey imports and be aware Autel policy is to restrict the model coverage to a specific geographic market so buy from the official dealer. If you need coverage of a very wide range of manufacturers you also might want to take a look at some of the Launch X431 series, but again beware of clones and grey imports.
The OTC Encore also seems to be well regarded as giving great value for money somebody might be able to comment.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 7 months ago #23252 by Noah
The MDT10 isn't a scope and the Pico isn't a scanner...
I guess you could keep the Verus to fill in some of the gaps of either tool.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 7 months ago #23284 by Tyler
I'd be tempted to stay with the Verus, as it's gonna have the most overall capability. Good scope, good scanner. The Pico is a better scope, the Autel is an excellent scanner.

I've heard that the Autel add-on scope has improved significantly since it was first released, but do some research before buying.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds