A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

3 PDI Current Clamp Comparisons - Head to Head

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22955 by graywave
So I have an odd opportunity to test out 3 different current clamps at the same time on the same vehicle. All 3 current clamps are made by PDI Meters. I have had there 60amp clamp for awhile and its been good and decently accurate in the milliamp range when compared to my multimeter inline with the same load.

I learned a lot from this simple comparison test. I wanted to know what high amp clamp was more accurate. I learned my 60amp clamp has its own limit. I also learned that above a certain threshold, both high amp clamps become 100amp off from one another. I also learned that it might be possible my starter draws over 800amps on initial rotation on a little 2017 kia 2.0 4cyl. lol. I wasn't expecting that.

Here is what I am thinking. The "Amp Rating" of the current clamp may not exactly mean that is what it can only measure...but possibly, what the company has rated the clamp for based on its accuracy. Now scrolling through the waveform, point by point on the Verus which I don't have pictured, it seems once the amperage gets around 600amps, both clamps start reading within 20amps of each other. Around 550-450amps they are within 10-15a. Once you get around 400 and below they start reading 1-7amps of each other which is more than acceptable to me from reading EMF. The Low amp clamp (PDI 60amp) seems to be within 20amp once the amperage is around 140amp. I wouldn't use the low amp clamp for accuracy that high anyways but you can still use it as a visual for Top Dead Compression.

Which Current Clamps out there do you suggest?

Channel 1 (Yellow) - PDI CA-400D (40 - 400 amp) (10mv/A - 1mv/A) (Set to 1mv/A)
- WARNING - AUTO SHUTOFF. Not sure the time limit yet but I noticed it did shut off on me a couple times but it seemed 10-20 minutes. This would be a problem if you are doing a parasitic drain test and you need the clamp active for a long time.
Channel 2 (Green) - PDI 600 AC/DC Current Clamp (1mv/A) (Set to 1mv/A)
- Not sure about any auto shut off feature for this yet
Channel 3 (Blue) - PDI CA60 (1mv/10ma - 1mv/100ma) (Set to 1mv/100ma or 10mv/A)
- No Auto shutoff - I've killed many 9v batteries

Starting from front to back. PDI CA-400D, PDI CA60, PDI 600A

Both High Amp Clamps over each other. This would have been better if I changed the voltage scale lower. Maybe tomorrow.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by graywave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22957 by Andy.MacFadyen
So many factors affect the readings from clamps that any accuracy I get from them is bonus. As well as using Hantek (****!) clamps with my scopes I have a couple of DC clamp meters, a low range one bought for parasitic draws and more general purpose Uni-T UT203. I highly recommend the UT-203 it is surprisingly accurate and also a decent low-cost general purpose multi-meter.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 8 months ago #23000 by Tyler
Love the comparison. B) That CA60 looks very similar to the AESwave version I have . Rebranding, same OEM?

No Auto shutoff - I've killed many 9v batteries

Aint that the truth. :blush: :lol: Some guy over at Diag.net showed pictures of his amp probe with 'TURN OFF' written on the probe in metallic Sharpie. Why didn't I think of that? :huh:

More
5 years 8 months ago #23001 by Andy.MacFadyen
I am the biggest customer at my local Savers store for 9v batteries. I use Eneloop which are the best rechargeable batteries in my meters that take AA or AAA but you can only get lower tech and lower quality rechargeable batteries in 9v.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 8 months ago #23010 by graywave

Tyler wrote: Love the comparison. B) That CA60 looks very similar to the AESwave version I have . Rebranding, same OEM?

I do believe PDI is the manufacture. Re-branding or customization probably for AESWave

Tyler wrote: Aint that the truth. :blush: :lol: Some guy over at Diag.net showed pictures of his amp probe with 'TURN OFF' written on the probe in metallic Sharpie. Why didn't I think of that? :huh:

I need a siren to go off when I am done using it. Put a proximity sensor in the my car so it automatically starts beeping it me when I put it away hahaha

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #23011 by graywave

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: I am the biggest customer at my local Savers store for 9v batteries. I use Eneloop which are the best rechargeable batteries in my meters that take AA or AAA but you can only get lower tech and lower quality rechargeable batteries in 9v.

I really need to build a supply of 9v batteries. Little embarrassing when you on the road, go to turn on the probe and its dead, the only to find out that now you remember you used your last 9v battery and now your asking the customer haha.

They should make these so you can use an optional USB cord to power them

I did decide to keep the PDI CA-400D 40/400 AMP Probe. I'll send the 600amp back. Reason is, versatility. Nice little clamp. PDI is getting rid of this clamp though. Its extremely hard to find. AESWave says PDI has less than 100 available and its $89+ shipping through AESWave. You would need to Email AES and ask for it though, its not on their site. I got mine from Amazon from around the same price shipped but it was the last one. PDI might be coming out with a newer model.

I'll get a 1000amp clamp so I can have accurate readings on the high end. I think they use the same 1mv/A scale anyways.

I am really glad I did this simple comparison test. I learned a lot from it and how amp clamps work and where their accuracy is.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by graywave.

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds