A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

SI comparison

More
5 years 8 months ago #22843 by Bigfoote13
SI comparison was created by Bigfoote13
Greetings all, I’m just curious regarding suggestions from different users that have used Identifix compared to Mitchell on-demand. I use Identifix a lot for troubleshooting suggestions and wiring diagrams, but have a little experience with Mitchell. Does anybody have any suggestions on the difference between the two and your likes and dislikes? thank you, Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #22847 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic SI comparison
I have never used Identix, but I have heard it compared to Snap On's Suretrack, which is included with ShopKeyPro. These sources give the most common causes and repairs for different codes and conditions, but not much technical information. This is great if you have no diagnostic ability. Narrow the odds down, a little, before you roll the dice.

But if you are here, at this forum, is assume you lean more to the diagnostic side. I recommend Alldata or ShopKeyPro. These sources will give the information you need to apply YOUR diagnostic ability, and solve the problem, on your own. As well as a wealth of other information.

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/diagnostic-t...itchell.html?start=0

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Chad.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22855 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic SI comparison
I use both daily, and they both have their strengths. I've been using Mitchell since community college, so I'm pretty familiar with how they lay out information. I generally find it faster to find the quick information I need on the job. Axle nut torque, rotor specs, fluid capacities, like that. Finding the same on Identifix can involve a lot of digging, depending on the YMM.

On the other hand, I find the SI in Identifix to be a direct copy of the OE material. Practically photocopied. This is often a good thing, as some details get lost when Mitchell copies it over to their format. I also really like how Identifix offers multiple formats of wiring diagrams, including OE depending on YMM. Again, there's a lot of specifics that get lost when converting over to the Mitchell format, like bulk connectors and component internals. Stuff that can make or break a diagnosis when on flat time. :ohmy:

More
5 years 8 months ago #22861 by Bigfoote13
Replied by Bigfoote13 on topic SI comparison
Thank you both for that knowledgeable information. Doug

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 8 months ago #22865 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic SI comparison
I really like All Data now. There's been continuous improvement over the past year or so. I have traditionally been frustrated with All Data, but they've got their stuff together now, with Mitchell diagrams to boot

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 8 months ago #22884 by Bigfoote13
Replied by Bigfoote13 on topic SI comparison
Is Alldata as comprehensive in diagnostic data and suggestions as Identifix is? And what’s the price of alldata per month? Also I was just looking up some information in Identifix to compare to what Paul was showing on one of his videos regarding a procedure to setting up a timing chain on a vehicle and I couldn’t easily find that procedure description in Identifix. Mitchell showed a great diagram of it does Alldata have the same or similar info? I remember looking up procedures like that at our college here on Mitchell and it was a good description but I don’t think Identifix has the same information. Thanks, Doug

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 8 months ago #22896 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic SI comparison
I've never used Identifix. I was under the impression that it was mostly statistic based repair advice.

All Data has procedures, times, diagrams, description and operation, etc.

The info available is not the same between manufacturers. So you might get very detailed descriptions and code set criteria for say a GM, but be left in the dark on a late model Audi.
I think that's true of any after market service information provider.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds