A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

MAF SENSOR QUESTION

More
5 years 8 months ago #22553 by Burt
MAF SENSOR QUESTION was created by Burt
Hello all,

I read this saying about a MAF sensor and was wondering if it true.

" GPS number on a good MAF will equal the engine’s displacement in liters at idle speed. In other words, 3 GPS at idle would be correct on a 3L engine. "

I have a 03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L. I cleaned my throttle body last week because of a low idle condition @ 535ish or under 650/750. It took about 25 miles to relearn so now I'm idling a little above 750 rpms. I put a bottle of 44K in the tank to clean the injectors a little. My MAF readings was about .54 g/s before the throttle body cleaning "using the Blue Driver" So I was on the hwy yesterday and kinda gunned the pedal down to about 3500-4000 rpms, when I came to a stop I noticed that the MAF numbers were about 5.40 g/s. Fuels trims are perfect, way below the 10% mark. I havent had the time to put my Verus on it to compare. I'm just trying to figure out what happen for it to go from .54 g/s @ idle to 5.6 or so just from that pedal stomp. So I read that quote and was wondering if that is somewhat true.

What is a good/average MAF g/s at idle?

Any thoughts? Thx!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22557 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic MAF SENSOR QUESTION
1 gps per Liter is a widely accepted general Rule-of-Thumb. It is not specification. Many factors will make this vary. A 4.0L with 5 gps ,at idle, is nothing to be too concerned about. But a 2.0L with 8 gps is a little suspicious. Likewise, I would question 0.54 gps on a 3.4L.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 8 months ago #22592 by Burt
Replied by Burt on topic MAF SENSOR QUESTION
Yes, not specs but something to go by. I'll be testing the MAF next weekend for sure.
thx for the info.

More
5 years 8 months ago #22594 by Burt
Replied by Burt on topic MAF SENSOR QUESTION
If anyone needs the specs on a 03 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L (5VZ-FE) MAF specs.

Air flow rate from MAF sensor/ Min. 0 gm/s, Max. 655 gm/s
Idling 3.3 - 4.7 gm/s @ idle " May have to reposition my TPS " I'm @ 5.6
Racing w/o load (2500) 12.9 -18.3 gm/sec
Idling 650-750

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds