A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Fuel injector pulser/timer tool question

More
5 years 9 months ago #22065 by ecwurban
My Snapon rep hooked me up with this awesome tool to test the fuel injection system. It'll do an injector balance test similar to the OTC tool except you can hook it up to all the injectors. It also powers the fuel pump and monitors fuel pressure directly. It does all of the tests with the key off.

My question is would there be any problems with backprobing the injectors with them still plugged in? With everything off I wouldn't think there'd be much risk of damaging anything by backfeeding but I don't know if I could rule out some form of minor backfeeding causing inaccurate test results..? Sure it would be better to isolate the system by unplugging them but on some systems that takes a bit of time and would just be easier to backprobe.

Wondering people's thoughts....

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22068 by Andy.MacFadyen
The injector drivers have to handle severe voltage spikes anyway so I can't see a any problem but I can't see any advantage over a 30$/£25 tool either

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
5 years 9 months ago #22071 by Tyler
I don't see a problem with the backprobing you described. I think Paul rigged up his OTC tester to do roughly the same thing? So he can use one lead on the control side of the injector, and let the power side do it's job.

Do you recall the name of the Snappy tool? Just curious, wondering if it's new.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22080 by ecwurban

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: The injector drivers have to handle severe voltage spikes anyway so I can't see a any problem but I can't see any advantage over a 30$/£25 tool either

Yeah, I can't imagine any problems. Was mainly just pondering accuracy. If I were to buy a tool I'd buy the OTC one which is usually over $100. I did see a few cheap ones around $30-50 but I'd still want the more expensive OTC one over a no name brand. Whether or not it would actually be more accurate or consistent is hard to say but it'd make me feel more comfortable in calling an injector on a system that was difficult to get to :)

Tyler wrote: Do you recall the name of the Snappy tool? Just curious, wondering if it's new.

The name of the tool is On Car Injector Flow Bench by Waekon.

Waekon 45565

It's not new and seems to be discontinued/unsupported. It's pretty cool how it does the whole test itself though. You hook up to all injectors (up to 10), the fuel pump and the rail. It powers everything and measures pressure directly. It also does tests of the injectors and fuel pump. Is it worth the $1500? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Heck I wouldn't even be able to justify $300 on it. I don't imagine they sold many of these. My Snapon rep was unable to sell it and it just collected dust for a few years so he just gave it to me. All of the adapters and harnesses went missing. Probably from one of the shops he let try it out... But I was able to make those from parts I had lying around. Sure I've spent a lot of time getting it working but only about $20 in money.

But really this thing is just bloody cool! It's like testing the fuel system with a glorified Gameboy! :lol:

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds