A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

New scan tool recommendation

More
5 years 10 months ago #21710 by autojoe
I have had snap on scan tools for 25 years going back to the red brick mt2500. Besides issues like Paul states with the verus... I purchased a solus ultra and heard going to have updates only up to 18.4....every time I turn around snap on gets rid of a scan tool platform and updates after spending thousands for the tool. I recently needed data pids for a 2008 trailblazer viscous fan and there was none running 17.4 software. Also with no more trouble shooter built into tool has to be done through sure track with wi fi and subscription service. My friend has one that does data pids bi directional controls graphing and also can be used for programming. I am tired of snap on. Any ideas. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21713 by bruce.oliver
Autel or launch are good choices. I have used the launch but prefer Autel. But there may be things that you can't do no matter what aftermarket tool you buy

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #21720 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New scan tool recommendation
What?! No more troubleshooter!
I was just talking to my new rep about troubleshooter and he pretty much indicated that it would always be built in to the tool. Unlike the PID flag function of the Zeus and Apollo which are internet dependant, as well as service info. I've got a Solus Ultra with current software, he was trying to sell me the Apollo. He doesn't know how cheap I am yet ;)
Sometimes, if i can't find a test or pid i think should be supported, I'll lie to the scanner. So if there was something for a TrailBlazer i couldn't do, I would ID it as a comparable sister vehicle, like a Buick Rainier, GMC Envoy, Isuzu Ascender, Chevy SSR etc.
It doesn't always work, but you might be surprised at how often it does.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Noah.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21721 by bruce.oliver
I hardly look at the troubleshooter on mine. Its just same info as service info a lot of times or is incomplete. And if the solus/modis ultra isn't going to be updated anymore I'm just gonna sell my modis and get autel

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #21733 by Andy.MacFadyen
Launch and Autel are safe bets just read the specs for the individual model carefully and watch out for grey imports and clones ie buy from the official importer.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21749 by johnathon.balderas
What issues has Paul had with the Verus.

More
5 years 9 months ago #22159 by Weldmech
I have an Autel and am not real pleased with it either. Costs alot to update and I think you need a WiFi connection as well. Support is not great as they think you helped design it so you should know how it works.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds