A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

What flavor of Modis?

More
5 years 10 months ago #21253 by WisdomWarlord
I am looking into buying a scan tool and scope. I like the Modis because it's both, and it's a 4 channel, where the Vantage Pro is only a 2. I know I can no longer get full coverage for the updates, but that's OK since I wouldn't be working on a new vehicles enough, at least for now, to need the newest info.
But I see there are 3 flavors. My budget is $1000, so that does seem to limit me to the Modis, but looking on ebay, I see that with a little luck, I might be able to score a Modis Ultra for that money. My question is, is there enough of a difference between the Modis and Modis Ultra to justify bumping up my budget a little? The ultimate goal is to get on solid enough ground that I can buy a current loaded scope/scanner, but those days are a long way off, and I need something soon.

Thanks
Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #21267 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic What flavor of Modis?
Eh, that can be a tough choice. :unsure: You're definitely getting a lot more value if you go with the original Modis, and a better scope. There's also tons of Modis scope accessories out there for cheap these days, as you might have seen. Tough to go wrong. ;)

The Ultra offers some improvements that may not be evident by just reading the spec sheets. Navigating the scope and scanner are TONS easier on the Ultra due to the touch screen. Very intuitive. The Modis, on the other hand, can be downright frustrating if you're not familiar. It's only a two channel scope, but I honestly don't run into that many occasions when I truly need a four channel scope.

Most originals also suffer from crappy battery life AND screens that are very tough to see in any kind of glare. If you're gonna be using it inside and near a wall outlet, no problem! If it's gonna be moving around in the shop or on mobile jobs, that might be a problem. Battery life on the Ultra is excellent, and screen protectors are available from Snappy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: damiconejon, WisdomWarlord

More
5 years 10 months ago #21269 by WisdomWarlord
Replied by WisdomWarlord on topic What flavor of Modis?
Ah yes. Now I remember why I hated the Modis as much as I loved that pos. I still wonder what kind of a moron puts a display like that in such an expensive tool that they should have known will get plenty of outside use. That display is why I never bought my own, and instead stuck with my Vantage and Mtg2500. My Snapon dealer was not to impressed with my impression of the Modis. Thank you for reminding me! But they downgraded the Ultra to a 2 channel scope. I only used all 4 channels on the Modis once, and only used 3 a handful of times, but it was so useful, I don't see a reason to give that feature up. One thing is for sure. Snapon does a good job of balancing out their smarts with stupids. The Vantage Pro and a Solus Ultra are looking like reasonable choices. I'll have to do more research. Fortunately, I'm about a month from being able to do anything so I'm not rushing this decision.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 10 months ago #21275 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic What flavor of Modis?
An older Verus would check a lot boxes on your needs/wants list and could probably be found in the $1000 ballpark.
A step up from the Modis in my opinion.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WisdomWarlord

More
5 years 10 months ago #21297 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic What flavor of Modis?
I have an older Verus Updated to 17.2. (The last update available for this model.) I would like to sell it and buy a Pico 4425.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 10 months ago #21314 by WisdomWarlord
Replied by WisdomWarlord on topic What flavor of Modis?
How much are you asking for your Verus?

More
5 years 10 months ago #21316 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic What flavor of Modis?
Last year I bought the final update for $1250 and a new replacement Battery for $260. I was going to try to get $2000. I would let it go to a member of this forum for $1500.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 10 months ago #21349 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic What flavor of Modis?

pole71 wrote: Last year I bought the final update for $1250 and a new replacement Battery for $260. I was going to try to get $2000. I would let it go to a member of this forum for $1500.

So tempting. :ohmy:

Also, it's worth mentioning that Autel scanners are very affordably priced, and way better than Snap-On in terms of functionality. Search Autel on here for more info. Pair one of those with a separate scope, and you'd be in business. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WisdomWarlord

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds