A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Vantage Pro CF card

More
7 years 7 months ago #2373 by matt.white
Hey forum. My scope at the moment is a vantage pro. Had it for years but am still increasing my knowledge to match the tools capabilities.

Just lately I've been wanting to put screen shots up on here to join in discussions or start new ones on interesting things I've found. I've taken some photos but the quality is terrible and doesn't really show anything useful.

My question is this, if I put a generic cf card in the spare slot, can I save screen shots to that, then transfer them to a pc to post here as an image? Is it that simple?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 7 months ago #2374 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Vantage Pro CF card
The format of the saved files will probably be .vsm, like the Modis and the Verus and other Snap-On scopes. The only program I've found that will read them is Shop Stream, which is free, but only others with Shop Stream will be able to view the files. I have it, i know Tyler does, ScannerDanner probably has it. I don't know about other users on the forum, but I wouldn't let that stop you.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2375 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Vantage Pro CF card
Anything you can get on a Windows PC screen with Shopscreen or any other Wndows program it can be captured as a screen shot. Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have screen shot taking already built in or you can use a free utility like Greenshot Link to Greenshot ScreenCapture download which will work in any version of Windows.

To use the built screen window capture in Win 8.1 and Win 10 just move the cursor into the title bar of the wndow press "Alt" key and "PrtSc"

Once you have the screen shot saved I edit it in Google Picasa to crop it and then use the Picasa Export option to save it in the reduced size (1000 pixel) required by the forum

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2377 by matt.white
Replied by matt.white on topic Vantage Pro CF card
Thank you to you both for the reply. If I could have deleted the post after I posted I would have. I thought it was a bit silly to ask. I should just buy a card and run it.

To be honest I didn't even think of shop stream. I already use it for a solis ultra. I think in my mind the vp just seems another generation older so didn't even think of it working.

I'll report back and thanks again.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2379 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Vantage Pro CF card
It was a cool question that others will benefit from I put some more on sizing pictures fit the Forum size requirements using Picasa at the end of this thread.

link to Forum Thread on Picture Size & Formats

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 7 months ago #2429 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Vantage Pro CF card

Anything you can get on a Windows PC screen with Shopscreen or any other Wndows program it can be captured as a screen shot

I thought of that after I posted, but was well on my way to work. Thanks for the resizing tip as well, would you mind putting that info in the sticky at the beginning of the repairs section thread? I was going to copy and quote it there, but it looked sloppy.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 7 months ago #2439 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Vantage Pro CF card
Oooooh, I like that Google Picasa thing! Where has it been all my life :cheer:

Yeah, I use ShopStream Connect for just about everything that comes out of my Modis. The screenshots I can take on the Modis itself are OK, but come out as bitmap files, and those won't post here. :(

Usually I'll just take a desktop shot (print screen button) and edit in Paint as needed. It's not sophisticated, but it works.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2445 by richiepearce
Replied by richiepearce on topic Vantage Pro CF card
I find it good practise to save my vantage pro files to shopstream on a regular basis, that way it is easy to rename and write notes while it is fresh in my mind.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2971 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic Vantage Pro CF card

matt.white wrote: Hey forum. My scope at the moment is a vantage pro. Had it for years but am still increasing my knowledge to match the tools capabilities.

Just lately I've been wanting to put screen shots up on here to join in discussions or start new ones on interesting things I've found. I've taken some photos but the quality is terrible and doesn't really show anything useful.

My question is this, if I put a generic cf card in the spare slot, can I save screen shots to that, then transfer them to a pc to post here as an image? Is it that simple?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can. The default for the screenshots is either a .jpg or .bmp image. Use the .bmp, it is a better picture. The shopstream connect others are suggesting is good too but not needed for the screenshots.

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #3055 by SLCDIAG
Replied by SLCDIAG on topic Vantage Pro CF card
And if you need to send someone the actual capture data/recording and not just a still image of the waveform (screenshot), just send them over the .vsm file and have them review it it SSC.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician + L1
ASE-5578-5149
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by SLCDIAG.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds