A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

OTC Genisys EVO 4.0 parts

More
5 years 11 months ago #21072 by kbrenny
I have an OTC Genisys EVO 4.0

I was considering updating to 2015 coverage and 5.0 software.

While I was considering the update I realized my battery was weak.

When I went to replace it the back cover cracked and broke where the battery door attaches to it.

I decided to remove the screws holding the front and back housings together and try to fix the battery door mount.

While I was doing this all of the screw post on the back cover disintegrated or fell apart.

While this is really confusing to me as to why would the plastic just fall apart like that.

If anyone knows where I can purchase a rear or back housing for a Genisys EVO please let me know.

If there is no option other than to just buy the whole housing that would work also.

My front housing is in excellent condition but with the rear housing broken the way it is the screws will not hold it together any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #21084 by kbrenny
Replied by kbrenny on topic OTC Genisys EVO 4.0 parts
If anyone has an old Genisys EVO that is not working and would be willing to sell me the back half of the housing let me know.

Also If anyone knows where I could find one that I could buy please let me know.

OTC has been of no help at all.

I spoke to OTC (Bosch) Tech support this morning. The first person I spoke to was in tech support, he was very helpful and really tried to help but could not find any options for my problem.
I was then transferred to a technician in the repair department. This person was not nearly as helpful or at least it did not seem they had any concern for getting the issue resolved.
I was told that the back housing is available but only to the OTC Repair department. I can not purchase the part from OTC but they will be willing to repair it if I send it in.
So first I have to pay $30 to $40 to ship the item to OTC.
Then they will charge me $89 for labor to remove 8 screws, swap covers, and reinstall the 8 screws.
The $89 does not cover the cost of the part, which the repair tech had no idea of how much the part would cost until I sent it in for repair.
Then I would have to pay for return shipping, which I was told could range between $60 and $70.

I really like my OTC Genisys EVO but at $40 shipping, $89 labor, $70 return shipping plus the cost of the part (which is unknown) I would be into repairing the back cover for over $200 without the cost of the part.

The scanner has never been dropped, always stored in the suitcase it came in, and well taken care of.
The back cover is not broken due to abuse, neglect, or misuse. The black plastic the back is made of is just crumbling around the mounting points. All 6 of the external perimeter mounting screws have the mounting posts just falling apart. The plastic is extremely brittle and literally fall apart if you roll them between your fingers.

I really wish I could just order a back housing from them. They wont let me unless I send it in for repair.
If you are technically proficient enough to operate the EVO 4.0 I am sure you can handle replacing the back cover by yourself.
$89 for labor to remove and replace 8 screws seems ridiculous to me.
I wouldn't feel as frustrated if the damage was of my own doing but it is clearly a material quality issue that OTC should be willing to resolve.

While I can honestly say I have always thought very highly of my EVO. I dont think, at this point, another OTC scanner as a replacement would even be an option.

I was actually planning on buying the update package for it in July, although it is a little bit expensive, I thought the scanner was worth it.
With the housing falling apart I really cant see myself updating the software if OTC wants to make it so difficult to just buy a piece of plastic from them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds