A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

ShopKey Pro Subscriptions

More
5 years 11 months ago #20596 by Dtnel
Anyone know of any groups of people that pool their money together monthly and do a shopkeypro subscription? Is there a limit on the amount of "mechanics" you can have on a account? The reason I ask is I am just a person who does Diagnostics myself, more so for hobby and helping family members, friends but I sure don't make enough in a year to justify the subscription. It would be nice to have the "OEM" info at hand if that's what it provides?

I would say if you can get 8 or so mechanics together and they all agreed to pay 20 bucks a month that should cover the cost of a subscription if each added a buck or two extra for taxes as I'm sure they charge.

I'm sure snap on probably have some roll against it? But I don't necessarily see why it's that big of a deal if they're getting paid their money and everybody's in their one account because that gives them that many people to Market to with their other products which is a win-win for them in my eyes if you ask me because they would be more inclined to buy stuff from Snap-on to being that they let them do a situation such as this. The sure-trac don't cut it with the Zeus platform unless there is any tsb's only then will it show what the manufacturers repair info is on the Zeus.

One thing I think they're salesman were short on realizing when they were out touting their productwith the technology truck. I didn't believe it was a full work around but I thought it was a somewhat of a partial work around being that if I got a code it would probably pop something relating to the repair and full as when I had the Solus Edge the date it was so so, then when I moved to the motor sedge the day it was so so but a little bit better because you had the component tester and then I moved to this. If it wasn't for the monthly payment sure I would do the annual subscription but I'm probably starting to think I pulled the trigger a little too soon.

Don't get me wrong I love the plethora of data available now which is very valuable plus the two extra lab scope channels is also a plus but I have yet to use more than two at a time yet but I'm sure the time will come.

If anyone has, is willing to want to work a group deal let me know.

I wonder if 8 guys were to form a partnership to keep snappy happy if they could do it that way. Only part about that is partnerships get sticky when a partner does something and the more I think about it I don't think I'd do that. I'd rather pay the 28 to $30 a month to somebody and then if they back out on the deal then I'm only out one month's worth of money if for say we were doing a group thing. I would then not do business with that person again.

I should ask my snap on guy how many people can be on the account because if that's the case maybe I could do it and I know I would definitely make sure that was paid each month then those who made sure the money was paid on time each month would be having a connection that was still turned on each month as well. A little off topic but thought it would fit under diagnostic tools and such vs the repair section.

I'll call snappy up and suggest they have a DIY subscription for a single man operation who does it as a hobby in the spare time. Their tech dept can clearly see how much datayou're loading and see if you're doing gangbusters work or not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20756 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic ShopKey Pro Subscriptions
Just checking if theres any recommendations yet.....

More
5 years 11 months ago #20757 by Dave101
Replied by Dave101 on topic ShopKey Pro Subscriptions
I have a ShopKey Pro account. I split the cost with my partner. My understanding is that your only allowed two techs per account. I'm not sure how they manage that. I guess you could share the user name and password among other techs and that would work. The only problem that I see doing that is if you have to work up estimates or quotes for your customers. The subscription features the shop name on all of the quotes. If your only using it for the information that it provides then I can't see how Snap on could manage that.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20759 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic ShopKey Pro Subscriptions
I received a phone call from Shopkeypro a few months ago concerning a "Flag" on my account for multiple IP address logins. I told them I login from my shop and gave them the IP address. I, also, told them I login from my home and gave them that IP address. They questioned me about working on cars at my home. I said "No. I work on cars at my shop. I do research from home, though." I was put on hold for a few moments. When they returned, they told me that since I only do research from home, they would not pursue the matter any further.

So, just a heads up that they will question logins from multiple IP addresses.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Chad.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20760 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic ShopKey Pro Subscriptions

Dave101 wrote: I have a ShopKey Pro account. I split the cost with my partner. My understanding is that your only allowed two techs per account. I'm not sure how they manage that. I guess you could share the user name and password among other techs and that would work. The only problem that I see doing that is if you have to work up estimates or quotes for your customers. The subscription features the shop name on all of the quotes. If your only using it for the information that it provides then I can't see how Snap on could manage that.

They manage it based on the IP address. If they see multiple IP addresses then they know the username and password is being shared among several locations.

Also, Mitchell requires your location to be an actual business and/or shop (maybe both?) or somehow associated working professionally within the industry. They do check. I don't think your pooling the money thing is going to work for Mitchell.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20772 by Dtnel

Dave101 wrote: I have a ShopKey Pro account. I split the cost with my partner. My understanding is that your only allowed two techs per account. I'm not sure how they manage that. I guess you could share the user name and password among other techs and that would work. The only problem that I see doing that is if you have to work up estimates or quotes for your customers. The subscription features the shop name on all of the quotes. If your only using it for the information that it provides then I can't see how Snap on could manage that.

Yes they don't make it cheap to get it. One would think if you spend a chunk of change on a upper end scan tool they'd give you a free complimentary year so you can see how valuable it can be if you haven't used it before but between the scan tool and tools if you add the shopkey pro I'd be over $400 per mo.

I guess I'll stay with AllData DIY and Mitchell DIY for the time being. Good thing I take out 5 yr subscriptions on those which save a ton of money for me it's just the occasional friends a handful times of year. With those it takes more time so I Google or YouTube and come across the specs then.

Almost thinking and have been told I should've bought a AUTEL as I'm seeing them get more traction. That or maybe the newer future upgradeable car daq m which yes you need a subscription each time you go to the dealer site but you can do the diagnostics and programming with the same device and eliminate certain scan tools. There's so much competition with all the flavors out there. IF the manufacturers were to offer a DIY package they'd make money especially if they partnered up with drew tech and supplied a cable to go with a annual subscription and add other vehicles for a certain price. They'd have to do it different for commercial vs the DIY guy otherwise shops would get it for next to nothing but with the DIY guy it's money in the bank and it's not going to be used as often as people think if they only have access to certain vehicles that they have on their subscription versus a shop which pays for all vehicles in the manufacturers catalog.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Dtnel. Reason: Bumped submit button to soon.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20773 by Dtnel

pole71 wrote: I received a phone call from Shopkeypro a few months ago concerning a "Flag" on my account for multiple IP address logins. I told them I login from my shop and gave them the IP address. I, also, told them I login from my home and gave them that IP address. They questioned me about working on cars at my home. I said "No. I work on cars at my shop. I do research from home, though." I was put on hold for a few moments. When they returned, they told me that since I only do research from home, they would not pursue the matter any further.

So, just a heads up that they will question logins from multiple IP addresses.

I wonder how that would work if we say a guy was a mobile Diagnostic and repair person and used their cell phone as a router to use the scan tool to access the internet? I would think that you would have different IP addresses each time you log on to the internet plus I also use an app that hides from Verizon that I am using it as a hotspot rather it just lets Verizon think that I'm using a lot of data.

That is good to know that they monitor that stuff.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20837 by PDM
Replied by PDM on topic ShopKey Pro Subscriptions
One could skirt the system by setting up a proxy that everyone could log into. You would then all show up as the same IP address.

I'm not suggesting it. My days of cheating and stealing software and services are over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
5 years 11 months ago #20855 by ScannerDanner

PDM wrote: One could skirt the system by setting up a proxy that everyone could log into. You would then all show up as the same IP address.

I'm not suggesting it. My days of cheating and stealing software and services are over.

As a seller of digital products, this is very personal to me and I wanted to say thank you for not pirating software from Mitchell/Shop Key
I also want to say to others that figuring out ways to cheat and share digital content is not something I will endorse or allow on this website.

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDM

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds