A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Another success after car has been to 3 shops. cooling system

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20463 by Andy.MacFadyen
3 shops had mis-diagnosed the car it had a random coolant loss it could go for weeks without using any coolant then a litre (quart) would go awol. It had been mis-diagnosed by 3 different shops ---- as everything from the inlet manifold gasket, water pump to cylinder head gasket.

A cold pressure test to 20 psi (1.4 bar) revealed it was simply a slow seepage caused by a hose clip on the upper hose T that hadn't been put on straight -- simples :-) I straightened the hose clip, refreshed the antifreeze and for good measure fitted a new coolant cap -- result happy customer.

What it underlines is with coolant leaks a cold pressure test with or without UV dye will usually reveal any external leak.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20483 by JeffBirt
“Therefore learn how to see and not to gape. to act instead of talking all day long."
Quote from The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui by Bertold Brecht

My Mom's version "Look with your eyes and not with your mouth".

Good job on the diagnosis. Amazing how a bit of testing works better than speculation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #20489 by Tyler
Well done, sir. It's crazy how many vehicles I've seen that hold coolant all summer, but immediately start leaking when the first cold snap happens. Tighten up the worm clamps, and it's all good. B)

So, is 20 PSI the normal pressure with this vehicle? Or, did you exceed the spec to expose weak points?

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds