A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Importance of Voltage Drop Test!

More
6 years 2 days ago #20225 by Charles Acosta
My Mountaineer master and passenger door locks didn't work in the lock position, only in the unlock. After a couple of checks it led me to a four wire splice which was under the left rear door jamb. A couple of thing had to removed to get to the harness.

I take voltage reading after the splice on the wire that goes to the left door switch. I have system voltage so you assume the problem is further up the harness right?

But look what happens when I loaded the circuit by pressing the lock button...I did the same on the wire going to passenger lock switch with same results.

To verify I used another wire probe as a jumper before the splice and after. Now the door locks. Splice has to be the culprit.

I sliced opened the heat shrink.

Imagine if I wasn't aware of the loaded circuit test. Door trims ripped out, new switches installed and for what, I would,t fix the problem.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Dylan, Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 days ago #20233 by Andy.MacFadyen
We should call it the green crusty test :cheer:

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 2 days ago #20234 by Charles Acosta

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: We should call it the green crusty test :cheer:

Agreed. Should be the new name for these forums.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 2 days ago #20235 by Noah
Thanks for sharing, pictures and everything! Someone was just asking about using the Power Probe test leads with their meter. If I can find that thread I'll put a link to this one in there.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 1 day ago - 6 years 1 day ago #20251 by Scannerfanner
This is so true! Last night i was troubleshooting a machine with a solenoid malfunction, with a multitude of junction blocks, switches and exposed connectors. Using what i’ve learned i checked the circuit from point to point and found a 3,5v drop in an 18" long wire UNDER LOAD that was probably compromised from bending and aging (sounds like myself!).
If i had been just looking for heat or corrosion or any visual clues i’d still be working on this machine...
Last edit: 6 years 1 day ago by Scannerfanner. Reason: Added under load remark

More
6 years 1 day ago #20264 by GypsyR
Hmmm. Well humans do conduct electricity. I'm feeling a little creaky these days, wonder what MY voltage drop is after a lifetime of bending and aging. :) Probably best not to do that test.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds