A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Known good PIDs

More
6 years 1 month ago #19377 by Peter
Known good PIDs was created by Peter
I would like to known if there is a publication of known good PIDs. As I read my data, I would like to know what a good average is to make a diagnosis. Example MAF frequency, what is an ok average frequency or MAF gm/sec, what is a good known PID. Is there some kind of chart available?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19379 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Known good PIDs
Hello Peter I'm not aware of such a chart as it's different for every vehicle but as a rule of thumb your maf grams per second should be approximately your engine liters at warm idle so for example a 1.8 liter engine should idle at about 1.7 to 2.0 grams per second and a 5.4 should idle around a 5.2 to 5.6 grams per second, now manufactures give specs at 2500 rpms for checking higher flow rate but I like to use max reading on wide open throttle as it can show a dirty maf better than at 2500 rpms so for example if you have a voltage pid you want it to be able to go over 4.0 volts at wide open throttle full load(1st and 2nd gear) if voltage is not available I guesstimate on prior experience what the engine should be able to draw in the case of a 5.4 engine it should pull over 200 grams a second where a 1.8 will be closer to 70 grams I use a formula of liters x 40 for peak flow so 3.0 liter engine idles close to 3 grams and peaks at 120 grams. Sorry it's long winded but I wanted to make sure everyone could understand it , there are a few exceptions on this formula such as diesel vehicles aren't even close to this!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Peter, Tutti57

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #19501 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Known good PIDs
Sometimes manufacturers will make "normal" pid values available in service info, but it's not always available or easy to find.

iATN.net is a good resource where you can find known good waveforms posted by techs and ask questions about PID values. And of course you can always open a thread in the repair questions sections of this forum if you're seeing something you're not sure of.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Noah.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds