A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Oxygen sensor thread chaser tool

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #18660 by torque_Spec
Below is a picture of a thread chaser tool for cleaning the oxygen sensor hole threads. When using this tool should I use some cutting oil, engine oil, or WD-40 with the tool or should I run it dry? I usually just use engine oil but another tech told me that I shouldn't use engine oil anymore. What do you guys use?
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by torque_Spec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18674 by Andy.MacFadyen
Usually I do it dry or lightly lubricate with a light mineral oil household oil or bicycle oil --- in the UK we have the brand "3 in 1". But there is a lot of crap on the threads you could pack the slots in the chaser tap with a mineral grease or aluminum-graphite anti-seize to catch the junk but normally this wouldn't be required. The usual hand tapping method -- for each 1/2 turn in back off 1/4 turn and repeat.

I wouldn't ever use WD40 type products or anything that might contain silicones. Special tapping compounds are usually expensive and often contain nasty chemicals and aren't really needed for this job.

When chasing spark plugs threads I use an aluminum-graphite steel based anti-seize as the lubricant.
Aluminum-graphite anti-seize is a more expensive but it much more effective as an anti-seize for all application where aluminum is in contact with other metals -- ie alloy wheels to wheel hub.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 1 month ago #18696 by torque_Spec
Thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate it!

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds