A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Which scan tool to get

More
6 years 2 months ago #18315 by Jay2034
Hey what's going on guys. If u had a choice on which scanner to get if this is ur profession and will be doing mobile diagnostics. I had the solus ultra until shop got broken into and got robbed. Sucks but What the heck. Life goes on. I love the troubleshooter snap on has but I heard the aural has a familiar thing built in it. I'm just wondering which scanner to invest in and why. I know the launch and autell don't have scopes but im thinking in getting the pick. I just don't want to make a bad choice. Should I save up and get the very pro, Zues, launch, autel, or something else. Or get the autel and have the Pico. Which would u guys choose as a better choice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18372 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic Which scan tool to get
Personal preference has a lot to do with it. But there are things that you can't do if you only have 1 brand scantool. I prefer Snapon because that's what I'm most used to. Plus you will run into incorrect data less and if it has a test, relearn, or bidirectional control it will do it. That's not the case with autel or launch, sometimes they will show some kind of test or function listed and it just won't work. But sometimes they will do things that snapon won't. Couple examples, powertop module on a Sebring. Snapon didn't have access or even list the module. Had to use autel. Other was evap controls on a Mitsubishi, snapon didn't list any controls but autel did. But there are things snapon will do that autel and launch won't do. My ideal setup would be snapon scantool for primary use with autel for a backup. And pico for a scope, but if your mobile, snapon scope may be more appropriate but it has limitations that make pico a much better scope in a lot of cases.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by bruce.oliver.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18376 by Jay2034
Replied by Jay2034 on topic Which scan tool to get
Thank u bruce.oliver. Which snap on scanner would u suggest. The zues, verus, or modis edge? And definitely I gotta get that pico scope. But for mobile u think I would need the autel for back up or just for the shop? Which autel by the way?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18380 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Which scan tool to get
I like my Verus Edge. Same as the Zeus but can be had a LOT cheaper, especially used. Plus it has a four channel scope built in, lots of room to keep records, scope movies and such, and it's basically a little Windows computer. So you can get on the internet (via wifi) to look at Alldata or whatever. Going mobile I would think one very versatile scanner/scope would be better than a bunch of stuff. A laptop is a lot better at getting on the internet for instance but you don't want to be toting everything you own back and forth. The included info such as "guided component tests" can be pretty handy out in the field.
And that's right, Snap On does NOT cover it all. I would choose a new moderately priced Autel to help fill in the gaps. Launch covers a lot of stuff but I find ours slow and awkward to use.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18388 by Jay2034
Does the autel have a guided component test like the snap on Does? I mean any of those scanner are better than no scanner. But which autel Bruce? I see tons of them

More
6 years 2 months ago #18396 by mph855
Replied by mph855 on topic Which scan tool to get
I bought a Launch x431 pro last month. Love it! If you do consider an Auto or Launch make sure you get the US version and not a grey market clunker. Amazon only sells grey market Launch scan tools so stay away from there.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18399 by Jay2034
mph855. Thank u my friend will look into it. So where would I get the launch from then? Aeswave?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18401 by mph855
Replied by mph855 on topic Which scan tool to get
Yes, I bought mine from AES wave. X431 pro. Paid about $1250. I initially bought one off Amazon (grey market) and was not happy with it. It had data gaps and did not function with some of the options on a few of the cars I was working on. Plus I was concerned if I could even get the tool fixed/tech support if it ever broke.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #18403 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Which scan tool to get
I forgot another neat trick my Verus does. I bought a small (8mm) borescope camera off Ebay for like $12. With a free downloaded app I can plug it into the Verus and use the screen as the display. This annoyed my boss a lot as he had bought a standalone borescope with a smaller screen and less resolution for a few hundred dollars.
Just pointing out another multitasking ability that most scanners won't do. This camera also works in laptops, tablets, cell phones, etc.

The less you have to walk back and forth to fetch tools, the more competent you look.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by GypsyR.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18407 by bruce.oliver
Autel is Android based so you can use a borescope with it to.

As far as which autel to supplement a snapon I would go with the MS906BT or if you want TPMS get the MS906TS. It's all dependent on want you want. Jay2034, are you a shop owner or a tech wanting to go mobile?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18408 by bruce.oliver
If the Autel is going to be your primary scanner I would get the Elite.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18416 by Jay2034
A tech wanting to go mobile. Do u have any advice towards that. I see the the ms906ts and what's the difference with the 908.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18422 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Which scan tool to get
I bought a Verus Pro D10 16.4 with case, wireless module, scope, accessories and case off ebay for 3k. Of course when I decide to update it will be ~$1k, but I'm in nor rush for that. Got a Autel MS906 brand new (not wireless) 1 year warranty and 1 year free updates and at the time they offered a 408 TPMS tool for $960 from a tool jobber. Bought a Vantage Pro a year or so ago for $700. I bought some other scope accessories like a 100psi transducer, secondary ignition and rpm. So for under $6K I'm fairly set (for now). That might give you an idea.

Bought Paul's book and hung a shingle outside. ;) Kidding, I don't have the knowledge or experience to do that...but who knows, maybe one day.....if I say my prayers at night and eat my Wheaties!

More
5 years 2 months ago #27240 by Cgaengineer
Replied by Cgaengineer on topic Which scan tool to get
Check out the 906bt, just picked one up today and I am excited to use it. You can add a scope and bore scope if you would like. As far as capability, the 906 and 908 use same software...the 908 has larger screen, charging dock and ability to use jbox...none of those features I felt were need for me. At $1390 at my local tool dealer it was a fair deal.

More
1 year 8 months ago #58063 by Fordtough68
Replied by Fordtough68 on topic Which scan tool to get
Did you ever get an answer on whether or bot the autel has the guided component tests? Thinking about getting the ultra but if it doesn't have that then I may consider something else.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds