A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Need help starting mobile diagnostic/repair buisness

More
6 years 2 months ago #18105 by M0SSMEN1
Hi all! So i am a certified mechanic, i have no idea where to put this topic, i am currently trying to find some other work outside of the shop(after hours) and i see the kind of thing Paul does in his videos and i curious if there is any good way of doing that and what would be required (insurance or whatever if something goes wrong or if you misdiagnose something) and i guess work ethics in those cases, anyway thanks for any input, have a good one guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18126 by bruce.oliver
Do you have the experience and knowledge to go to repair shops and diag what they can't? If so then just stop by some shops and offer your services. Yes if you are going to do it as a legit business then you need to get a business license. And insurance especially if you are going to be making repairs after the diag

More
6 years 2 months ago #18157 by Tutti57
You'll want to check with your state regulations on what is actually required vs recommended.

In NY you have to be registered with the DMV and insurance is optional if you don't have any employees. You might want to talk with insurance agent too, since there are a handful of different types of insurance. Coverage for errors and omissions, general liability, theft, out of work pay, etc.

I'm interested in getting to a level where I can do this too, so I've been thinking about it for the future. I would go in and find out if they outsource electrical or diag now and show them how they can still make money on the repairs if you swing by and diag for them. They need to see what's in it for them and that it would be worth their money. Even if they use someone else, I'd leave my card with them. Eventually that person isn't going to be available when they need them and they might give you a try. Maybe they'll like you more.

Work on a pitch. You are selling yourself to them. Try to think of how you can quickly so them that you can partner with them and can fill a need. Maybe ask them what they are working on or have turned away and why.

Good luck and let us know how your process goes!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds