A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Module Programming Basics?

More
6 years 2 months ago #18089 by graywave
Hi Guys,

This goes to all who have programmed. Its an area I would like to get into and I should be able to do it with my Genisys Touch. I'd like to know all the DOs and DON'Ts you may have to offer and this might clear up some stuff for other members too.

My 2 questions. I'm sure I'll think of more
1. Can you use any J2534 box to program any vehicle?
2. Does your bi-directional scanner need to be compatible with the vehicle. Basically, my Genisys does not have profiles for any 2017 vehicles yet, could I still reprogram 2017 vehicles? Or does the programming run strictly from your laptop? The OTC Genisys wireless module can plug into my laptop with a USB cable, maybe that is all I need?

Thanks!

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18100 by jacobnbr1
You can program any power-train module that is programmable all the way upto 2017 with any j2534 -1 and other modules with a -2 jtool.
Your scan tool does not need to be current however you may need a scan tool to do house keeping when your done.
There are way too many dos and donts so I couldnt possibly write them out but I have been been programming since 2001 and have learned to respect the service information and understand what it says. The service information will instruct on how to accomplish the task but often leaves out the housekeeping part.
House keeping can be simple as a vin write function to a more difficult task like programming keys where security clearance is needed before the vehicle will start afterwards.
I currenlty use a drewtech cardaq-m and it interfaces with almost all vehicle lines and there are some that I just simply will not do as they are too complex.
Again the service info will tell you how to do this but understand there are limits, variables and exceptions to almost every reflash.
You can go to Drewtechnoligies.com and NASTF.COM to read more about it.
FYI you can brick an expensive module if you do not understand the limits and read the tsbs listed on module programming. There are manufacturer details at nastf that tell you critical details like currently if was to reflash an 06 dodge ram 2500 cummins I would ruin the module and brick the truck as the vin transfer protocol is not functioning at the moment.
Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: graywave

More
6 years 2 months ago #18102 by graywave
Replied by graywave on topic Module Programming Basics?
Thanks! That really clears some things up.

I would really like to hear from everyone else too about their experience about programming.

I won't be doing programming for a little while but when it comes down to it and I have a question, it would be great if I had someones contact number in case I have a question. Private message me if you don't mind giving me your contact info.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19581 by journeyman
Follow the instructions on the manufacturer's website VIA the j2534 toolbox to a "T". Do not attempt shortcuts or skip ANY STEPS.Watch the many walk through videos

More
6 years 1 month ago #19587 by TheTechWhisperer
Like he said, there is so much info it is hard to summarize it all. You learn alot as you go.

1. Equipment: I personally wouldn't flash anything through a scan tool unless it is a factory piece (like a tech 2). Here's what you need to make sure you minimize any issues while programming:
-A laptop that is designated just for programming (you can get them cheap, and need to take down all the firewalls. Also need to enter allowed sites for Chrysler and GM- just read the instructions on the site and they will tell u)
- A J2534 box that does "-1 and -2". That will give you a better return on investment since you can program more modules. Like he said, I also use the Cardaq-M by drewtech. Drewtech is the best out there for the aftermarket. Most other devices you see were probably built by drewtech and relabeled. The best thing about them is that when you buy their product, you get free access to their support hotline whenever you run into trouble. That is huge for someone just starting this.
-A "smart charger" that will maintain the battery but not overcharge it during programming. Voltage level is really important.

2. Download the J-2534 toolbox for free on the Drewtech website. This will allow you to reset the SKIM and re-write the VIN on Chrysler when needed, it also has "how-to" instructions and videos for programming for any manufacturer. It also has any announcements on the main page for cars you may want to temporarily avoid.

It seems overwhelming when you are first getting started doing programming, and you will waste more time than you are getting paid for in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it is a cake walk and easy money.

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

More
6 years 1 month ago #19588 by TheTechWhisperer
Also, I use NASTF's website like he mentioned, and check out www.oemonestop.com , it has every link for every manufacturer as well, when you need to buy the 2 or 3 day subscription. These subscriptions average between $30-50 typically

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

More
6 years 1 month ago #19793 by graywave
Replied by graywave on topic Module Programming Basics?
Thanks you!

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds