A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Snap On Low Amp Probe 308A vs. 308D

More
6 years 2 months ago #17993 by Mars928
Hi all, new to the forum. A little background: I recently got a Verus EEMS323 with the intent to learn about the lab scope function. I am a Diy-er. Not that I know a whole lot about the scanner part but I get around, as I own a Solus Ultra as well, which I will be looking to sell in the future. I want to make sure this one works well. I have been playing with the demo mode and it seems to work as it should. It has the 14.xx software with the Euro function, which covers the vehicles I own.
I have been watching the SD you tube videos for awhile and I find the scope use fascinating. I am looking to get a low amp meter. I see the 308A and 308D ones on ebay all the time. Of course the 308D is more expensive but is the one Snap On recommends for the Verus. Is there a real advantage to the 308D? I assume the 308A works with the Verus. Furthermore, any advantages over these vs. the $90 new kind?
I am considering going pro in the future ("considering" being the operative word here), after getting some formal training, so I want to continue to build a solid base of good tools.
Thank you,
Mario

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18044 by Tyler
Hey Mars928! I've used both of those probes, and honestly couldn't tell a difference in performance in scope traces. I'm sure there's SOME kind of response time improvement with the 308D, but it wasn't immediately evident when used day-to-day. The 308A is slightly easier to get around individual wires in a tight loom, with the black part of the jaws having a sharper 'point' on them, making it easier to separate the wire you want. Both will work perfectly with the Verus, or any other DMM you connect it to.

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with the much more affordable AESwave Low Range Current Probe . Again, no noticeable difference in performance as compared to the Snap-On models. The only real problem is the lack of a stackable ground connection, but there are ways around this .

More
6 years 2 months ago #18046 by Andy.MacFadyen
AES Wave or most generic DC probes are fine --- Hantek works fine but Hantek quality control is very hit or miss.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 2 months ago #18048 by Mars928
Thank you Tyler and Andy. Just what I needed to know.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18051 by Mars928
Tyler, good to know about the stackable ground option. Since my set was missing the blue scope wire, I had ordered the AES 10 ft leads, which include the stackable ground adapter. Seems like that should work for their probe just fine. Thanks for the information. Being new to this, I would have never considered it.

More
6 years 2 months ago #18053 by Andy.MacFadyen
For anybody in the UK look at the Sealey range.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds