A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Power probe v drop test

More
6 years 2 months ago #17967 by Tutti57
Just so I understand this, would performing a voltage drop test with the power probe be as simple as touching the power side and looking for near zero v at the tip and then the same on the ground side looking for near zero, since the cables are both running straight to the battery? With a loaded circuit of course. Could you even load the circuit with the probe too if needed with the rocker switch?

I'm using a PP4 if that matters.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #17968 by Andy.MacFadyen
Yes as with a volts drop test using any kind of voltmeter you are just checkinf by how much the load current is causing a voltage drop from one end of the wire to the other lost due to the resistance in the wire and connectors.
One thing to be aware of is the Power Probe IV has an internal resistance of only 350 kOhm it might not seem a problem but could be if you are measuring signal and supply voltages on high impedance (high resistance) electronic circuits as it is enough cause significant drop in the voltages you read. Compare this with decent quality DVOM will usually have a 10 mOhm internal resistance.
For power circuits the Power Probe IV is a go to tool but circuits such as speed sensors choose a digital multimeter.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds