A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Snapon High amp probe amp to mv

More
6 years 2 months ago #17359 by Doodah14
Hi all, I have a EETA501c snapon high amp probe.when I got it I threw the box away to make room in my tool box. The users manual was in the box.....I was wondering if any of u Have this Same probe and know the conversion rate. I can't find much info online. It has the 40amp and the 400 amp setting on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17360 by Tyler
Hey Doodah14! The last shop I worked for had one of these. I seem to remember that the 40A scale is 10mV/amp, and the 400A scale is 1mV/amp. It's been a few years? :lol: But I think those figures are right.

You could try a relative compression test on a gas engine as an experiment. Most don't draw over 200A during cranking, more like 150-175A. So, I'd expect the 400A scale to generate a signal between 150mV and 175mV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doodah14

More
6 years 2 months ago #17361 by Doodah14
Thanks for speedy reply, I'll try that tommorow

More
6 years 2 months ago #17389 by Doodah14
I Tested it in 2 vehicles today, G.caravan with a 3.3 and got about 160mv on the 400A setting.on a 09 journey 3.5 I got about 140mv on the 400A setting. So it looks like u are right on the 400A setting. The odd thing is when I switched it to 40A I got all most the same readings. (On the Journey, I didn't try the 40a on the G.caravan) I was getting peaks at about 120mv. at least I know the 400a setting. I'll likely only use the on for compression anyway. Maybe the occasional starter draw So I should be fine just using the 400a setting.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17434 by Tyler
Hmmmmm, I dunno about that 40A setting, then. :silly: Maybe try that one on a blower motor?

How's the capture quality with that clamp? I seem to remember struggling to get the scaling right when using it.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17488 by Andy.MacFadyen
Use something that like main beam bulbs (or better 2 in parallel) that is at the top end of the amps your DVOM can measure and wrap the wires round the jaws multiple times. So if 2 bulbs draw 9 amps with the wire wrapped 4 times round the jaws the current clamp will see 36 amps.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds