A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Interesting article regarding evaporate systems, mode 6 data and other testing

More
6 years 3 months ago #16864 by Dtnel
There's a few vehicles used for this article as a example. It seemed like an interesting article. Mods, If I posted this in the wrong forum or should change the title please let me know or do at will.

One thing I found interesting that I've been seeing more and more is Mode 6 data. From what little I've learned is that you can do even more in regards to troubleshooting specific issues.

I understand Paul's Methodology of his book and getting around long complex mfr written troubleshooting flow charts and getting to the solution quicker.

I am curious as to whether Paul has videos that deal with Mode 6 and monitored systems and if this is something he deals with or not?

I am mainly posting this to bring a little discussion around this topic as I'd like to learn more about monitored systems, deciphering the codes around it and how it can help complex diagnostic issues. The pros and cons if any at all as from what I've read it seems it can help.

I have seen some software that claims to be able to decipher the numbers/symbols of the mode 6 data.

Hopefully I've brought up a good topic? Personally myself I haven't dealt with Mode 6 data, monitored systems tests and wouldn't know how to get it. I have seen at times what I believe to be the mode 6 data but never paid much mind to it.

Here's the article that touched on the emissions stuff and the monitored tests not completing along with the Mode 6 data. The Mode 6 data isn't talked about a whole lot or so it seems but it made me curious which is why I posted it.

www.vehicleservicepros.com/on-the-vehicl...ring-emission-issues
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16977 by Noah
Thanks for sharing!
I actually was working on a Nissan the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see partially decoded mode 6 data with my Solus. It was helpful in making sure the o2 monitor had run.
The only real diagnostic direction I've ever gotten from mode 6 was for Ford misfire identification. I bet there's some much smarter people here getting more information from mode 6.

I moved this over to Diagnostic Tools & Techniques.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
6 years 3 months ago #17006 by bruce.oliver
I am working on learning Mode 6 data myself. I am taking a mode 6 class in March at the Seattle ATE training event. What I am learning is that mode 6 can be misleading because, except for misfires, it only shows the results of the last test. But at the same time it can be helpful especially in confirming the repair.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17094 by Tyler
There's definitely ins and outs to Mode $06, but I still find it very valuable on some jobs. I use it mostly on repair verification, rather than diagnostics. O2 sensors, EGR, catalyst and such. I always have more confidence when I can see that the PCM is happy with system performance.

I've started using Mode $06 more and more with EVAP problems, especially on vehicles that break down the testing sequence into many different TID's. Ford is great about this. Knowing which part of the EVAP test that a vehicle failed really helps in narrowing down the list of suspects.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds