A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Guidance on 5k ohm resistor

More
6 years 4 months ago #16387 by rockp2
Guys, I am seeking to buy some 5k ohm resistors to have to act as jumpers on certain component test like Paul recommends (Chp 7 & Chp 10). But I don't know what wattage I should get? Seems to be all over the map from 1/4 watt to much higher wattage. It looks like there are several composite make ups of various type of resistors. So what wattage and what type 5k ohm resistors am I looking for? Also, it seems like there are a lot of 5.x ohm resistors, are they ok to used or does it need to be exactly 5k? Does anyone have a website they order from they can share? Thanks a ton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #16388 by Andy.MacFadyen
The Wattage is trivial

If you put a 5k resitor across 15v from V/R = I you only get 0.003 Amps
Power = I*I*R
0.003*0.003*5,000 = 0.045 Watts or 45mW

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockp2

More
6 years 4 months ago #16414 by Edke6bnl
can you just leave a 5k resistor on a scanning tool for safety

More
6 years 4 months ago #16752 by Coolbreeze
Hello - I recently bought resistors on ebay -they were 5.1K ohm, 1/4 watt carbon resistors... the extra 100 ohms wont make any practical difference (its only 2% higher than the 5K). They were from Tayda Electronics- Newark, Mouser and DigiKey are popular large suppliers also. The formula P=VI shows that I (current) on a 12 Volt system will be .021 amps (21 milliamps) if P is 0.25 watt. Many of the examples that Paul shows arent really pulling any amperage, so the 1/4 watt should be fine... one benefit of a higher wattage would be its physical size (easier to see/not lose) in low light conditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockp2

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds