A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Grip taping my scanner

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #16364 by Tyler
Grip taping my scanner was created by Tyler
After owning my Modis Ultra for over four years now, I've come to hate how it just will not stay put on ANYTHING. Test driving with it in my lap? Flies right off during cornering. Throw it in the passenger seat? Gets dumped into the footwell every time I touch the brakes. Seems like there's no safe place to situate it, aside from in the tool box. :lol:

Enter GRIP TAPE. Like on skateboards - basically sand paper with an adhesive backing. I found a huge roll on Amazon for cheap enough that I wouldn't feel bad if this experiment didn't work out:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0785MFD83/ref=twister..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I got clear tape because I thought it'd be, like, clear. :silly: But it's really more white, and thus far uglier than I intended.

Yeah, I also hacked up sticking it on. :lol: Started with one big piece, left a ton of air bubbles in there, then used a razor blade to cut the kickstand out so I can still use it. I'll probably change this out with black in the future.

The tape has been on for a week now, and it's been a game changer. :ohmy: Seriously, why didn't I do this years ago? This stuff is one step below Velcro on fabric, and adds resistance when set on smooth surfaces. Any more, the Modis gets hooked up to almost every car I touch for one reason or another, and comes with me on test drives daily. If your scanner gets used like mine (and you can stand the eye sore), then seriously consider doing something similar. ;-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 4 months ago #16372 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Grip taping my scanner
Wow, that's a good idea! I thought about plastidipping mine for a similar effect, but I might go with the grip tape now.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 4 months ago #16390 by Andy.MacFadyen
I sometimes use BluTack
For holding my scope I use a rubber bungee cord.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 4 months ago #16762 by Coolbreeze
Replied by Coolbreeze on topic Grip taping my scanner
Great Idea ... I know that roofers sit on pieces of foam rubber to keep from sliding off of steep roofs - using that concept with your idea, I think I will try some black foam rubber thermal insulation tape (see Armacell Tap18230) - it is 1/8 thick and 2 inches wide - good stuff... Thanks for idea !

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds