A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Verus for sale opinions

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16193 by rockp2
Hello all, I'm considering purchasing the Verus [strike]in the link below[/strike] Had to edit post because I couldn't get link to work...but basically it is listed as "SNAP ON Diagnostic Tool/Equipment VERUS EEMS323 14.2 (FCO002202)" for $1799. Claims are it is fully operational and functions as intended. Could I get some opinions please if I should go for it?. I am just a hobby guy and the 14.2 update will handle all my vehicles except my 2017 Ram (which I'm not touching because of warranty). I already have a lab scope and have been leaning toward a scanner as of late. Thanks guys.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by rockp2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16197 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Verus for sale opinions
What lab scope do you have. You can pick up a good scanner fr a lot less & spend your "hobby" money elsewhere.

I prefer my scanner & scope to be separate units.

You can easily pick up a used Solus Ultra or Edge for far less than that Verus. If you shop around, you can get newer software also.

Enjoy

More
6 years 3 months ago #16198 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Verus for sale opinions
Thanks for the response arbez. I have a Snap-on Vantage Pro with the final update offered (16.2 I think). I also have Autoengunity with the GM package installed on my garage laptop. But I am looking for a diagnostic scanner more along the lines of what Paul uses. I do help friends with their vehicles. So you think I can get a tool comparable and more updated for a lower price? After all, I want to be just like Scanner Danner when I grow up :).

More
6 years 3 months ago #16206 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Verus for sale opinions
IF you can find something just as cheap with a newer version you'll be better off as some of the newer updates even though you have the the vehicle they offer a significant amount more of bidirectional control as was with 16.4 I believe.

I'd check and see what a good Solus Edge would cost cash price as dealers always line the guy with cash out the door. When I bought my Solus Edge new it was $2600 plus tax so you take that and find a used one that's upgraded and for probably $2 k you could find one or go with something else someone else suggests.

I definitely love the component tester that comes with the Modis Edge (More $$) but that combined with Sure Track helps me get to the solution sooner. Even without the sure track the component tester walks you thru the test procedures that Paul shows us which is good both ways as it shows me Paul is showing me correct and also generally has the specs you need to verify.

Snap On has been offering dealers alot of incentives to get the higher end models sold before the Zeus came along so those models have to be sitting somewhere or are being sold somewhere at a fair price.

Kept updated I got every penny and then some back when I traded mine in 9 months old. Got $400-500 more back than I paid for it if I recollect properly. I paid most of the difference to the new Modis purchase so paying it all or most up front will get you a deal. IF your dealer won't deal other dealers will as I found out after buying my first one. In a town with 5 dealer trucks running around there's always a deal to be had but I found a good guy who works with me good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockp2

More
6 years 3 months ago #16211 by arbez
If you want to have exactly what Paul uses, your going to have to pony up for the Verus.

I really believe that you are better off with the scan tool & scope being separate units. I use mine simultaneously all the time. I used to have an older Modis & hated having both the scope & scan tool together. I would often use the scan tool side of the Modis & my Vantage Pro together.

In the shop I use my DSO & the Solis and/or the Maxisys. I very rarely use the Vantage in the shop. I believe that the scan tool side of the Verus & Modis are very similar to the Solus.

You should be able to pick up a Solus Edge, with last years software (16.x), for under a grand on Ebay. Put the rest of that towards a DSO & you will have a much better system to grow on.

Having to go back to only one tool that "does it all" would seem like a big step backwards for me. Every situation/person is different. This is what works for me.

Vantage Pro is upgradable to 17.4, but I would put that money to a new scan tool & a DSO.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16219 by rockp2
arbez, after looking into your advice I am definitely heading more in the direction of the Solus Edge. I am very happy with my Vantage Pro and didn't realize buying something like the Verus was kind of overkill because I do have the Vantage for scoping. Thanks for the advice. P.S. Funny, last year the dealer told me that the update 16.2 for Vantage Pro would be the last one. So much for that...glad to hear it though.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16226 by arbez
There are some differences. The main one is the Verus is a 4 channel scope, where the Vantage is only a 2 channel.

I do believe that the Verus would be overkill for you, especially is this is just for a "hobby".

The Vantage really doesn't need to be upgraded, unless you work on the latest vehicles. Most of the information hasn't changed for years. I'm sure there are exceptions. I haven't upgraded my Vantage for a long time & I don't know of any situation that the upgrade would of done me any good.

According to my Snap On rep' the 17.4 will be the last update for the Vantage Pro. www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/DiagnosticPlatforms.htm
Forced obsolescence. It's like owning an Apple product.

I believe the Vantage update is $400.00 or $440.00.
The Solus Edge update is $1000.00

The Verus update is much more.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16231 by rockp2
arbez, I'm looking between a used Solus Edge and a brand new Maxisys MS906, if you could only have one, which would you go with? My main priority is, though I'm okay with getting an update every few years or so, I can't have something that would require some type of subscription to give me full funtion of the tool. I can't quite figure out if Autel requires that or not.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16237 by Dtnel
Arbez I like the new Zeus that came out which is wireless and will replace the one Paul uses as well. It's window's based and has the built in Oscilloscope. The main thing I like about the Zeus is it automatically pulls all related TSB's, data in scanner that's specifically related to the code you have. That's putting in the work to get a system to do that. Granted I'm sure it's geared towards the independent shop or high strung tech who is good with flat rate, just makes him faster and saves a few keystrokes or taps on the screen.

My plan was to go with the Solus Edge and Use my Picoscope 4425 kit from AutoNerdz (Great Kit by the way) but I was never using the DSO as I found myself away from the house doing the work but needing the functionality. Bring in the Modis Edge, I found and felt that I'd get more training as a newbie to the DSO by using one more regularly so I broke down and bought it and I was right in the fact that I'm using it to learn and diagnose at the same time so for me it helped.

If I had a dedicated vehicle where I could leave the Picoscope DSO and not be having to take in and out all the time I'd install it in a vehicle. Forget and leave vehicle out one night and thieves will break in even in the decent part of town where I live and whether there's camera's or not they don't care. These aren't your crack users either. They're out for the quick money.

I guess one needs to look at how they'll use what they're getting and go from there. IF you're mobile think about it for a week or so and mull it over. IF you think you'd use it more mobile you can always get a Solus Edge and Mobile Scope as well, previous modis I think it was if I recollect properly??

Had I known I would've went the route I did and that the Zeus was coming I would've skipped on the Picoscope 4425 and waited for the Zeus and paid cash for it.

Only thing that has kept me from trading up to the Zeus is that I have the Picoscope 4425 kit will all the extras and I need to start using it more. IT also vale with the free auto renewing subscription to AutoNerdz, waveform library access, training videos and countless other software and hardware related stuff. Even came with some cool fender covers also.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16248 by arbez

rockp2 wrote: arbez, I'm looking between a used Solus Edge and a brand new Maxisys MS906, if you could only have one, which would you go with? My main priority is, though I'm okay with getting an update every few years or so, I can't have something that would require some type of subscription to give me full function of the tool. I can't quite figure out if Autel requires that or not.

The Solus Edge & the Maxisys are so far apart in price, that it doesn't seem like a fair comparison. The short answer is that the Autel is your best value, but the Solus is a nicer tool. I have both (Solus Edge & a Autel Maxisys) & I use them both. Seems that the Solus Edge has coverage that the Autel doesn't, but the Autel has abilities that the Solus lacks. You almost need both & still you can't do it all.

Something that really annoys me about the Autel tool is that it will look like you have the ability to do something ( lets say program a module). You get the new module, install it & try to program it, the Autel will say something like "this operation is not required". Just because it's in the Autel menu, doesn't mean that you can actually perform the operation. You don't know until you you try.

As far as updates, both tools come with a year of free updates. After that you have to pay for additional coverage, or your on your own. When your software expires, the Solus loses the Sure Track feature & when you want to upgrade, the upgrades cost more. With the Autel you lose technical support, mostly at least. It depends who you talk to & what kind of day they are having. I could tell you stories............

Good news is that the Autel software update is cheaper, costs the same even if your subscription expired & extends the warranty of the tool.

I have been an Autel customer for years & have had 3 of their "high end" scan tools. My rule, at least for awhile, was to buy the new tool with the 1 year of free updates. After the year of free updates expired, I would wait a year & reevaluate. Sometimes the cost of updating the old tool was 1/2 to 2/3'rds the cost of the shiny new tool that they just came out with.

Other things to consider: The Autel software is updated all the time, sometimes daily. The Snap-On is twice a year. Autel could straighten out a issue, problem, or add new features overnight, where with Snap-On you just have to wait. I always thought that was proactive of Autel.

To answer your question, I think that is going to be up to you to decide. The Solus is more than 3 times the cost of the MS906. My opinion is the Snap-On tool is better, but not 3 times better.

Good Day

More
6 years 3 months ago #16249 by rockp2
Thanks arbez. I wasn't looking at buying a new Solus Edge. The used prices seem to be about the same as the new prices for the Maxisys. So I was looking at a dollar for dollar comparison. But I did get a good idea from your answer. So thanks very much.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16250 by arbez

rockp2 wrote: Thanks arbez. I wasn't looking at buying a new Solus Edge. The used prices seem to be about the same as the new prices for the Maxisys. So I was looking at a dollar for dollar comparison. But I did get a good idea from your answer. So thanks very much.

The new Autel will come with the year of updates, where the Solus will most likely not. The Solus is going to cost $1000.00 to update, that is about the cost of the new Autel, or the used Solus. I would say that each tool will do about 85%-90% of what the other tool does.

I personally like the "feel & function" of the Solus over the Autel. But if I had nothing & was looking at a new Autel or the used Solus, I would pick the Autel. It just does more for the money & is getting better all the time.

See if your tool guys have any loaners, try them for a week & let us know.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16252 by arbez

Dtnel wrote: Arbez I like the new Zeus that came out which is wireless and will replace the one Paul uses as well. It's window's based and has the built in Oscilloscope. The main thing I like about the Zeus is it automatically pulls all related TSB's, data in scanner that's specifically related to the code you have. That's putting in the work to get a system to do that. Granted I'm sure it's geared towards the independent shop or high strung tech who is good with flat rate, just makes him faster and saves a few keystrokes or taps on the screen.

My plan was to go with the Solus Edge and Use my Picoscope 4425 kit from AutoNerdz (Great Kit by the way) but I was never using the DSO as I found myself away from the house doing the work but needing the functionality. Bring in the Modis Edge, I found and felt that I'd get more training as a newbie to the DSO by using one more regularly so I broke down and bought it and I was right in the fact that I'm using it to learn and diagnose at the same time so for me it helped.

If I had a dedicated vehicle where I could leave the Picoscope DSO and not be having to take in and out all the time I'd install it in a vehicle. Forget and leave vehicle out one night and thieves will break in even in the decent part of town where I live and whether there's camera's or not they don't care. These aren't your crack users either. They're out for the quick money.

I guess one needs to look at how they'll use what they're getting and go from there. IF you're mobile think about it for a week or so and mull it over. IF you think you'd use it more mobile you can always get a Solus Edge and Mobile Scope as well, previous modis I think it was if I recollect properly??

Had I known I would've went the route I did and that the Zeus was coming I would've skipped on the Picoscope 4425 and waited for the Zeus and paid cash for it.

Only thing that has kept me from trading up to the Zeus is that I have the Picoscope 4425 kit will all the extras and I need to start using it more. IT also vale with the free auto renewing subscription to AutoNerdz, waveform library access, training videos and countless other software and hardware related stuff. Even came with some cool fender covers also.

Dtnel, Every person's situation is different. If you are a "mobile tech" you need your equipment to be portable & compact. A DSO is not compact or as easily portable as a self contained unit is. I use my Vantage Pro when I go out, but I'm quick to bring vehicles back to the shop. I'm just better equipped & there is always something that I forgot to bring.

I'm not familiar with the Zues, but it looks like big bucks to me. I work for myself, by myself & I try not to buy anything that is going to take me forever to pay off. If I can't pay for it outright, I don't need it.

I believe that we are trying to advise someone that is looking to spend 1-2K & I'm trying to give him the benefit of my experience. You obviously have mad a substantial investment in some high end equipment. Your PicoScope should have a pretty good resale value & that should be a substantial chunk out of the Zeus. It sounds like that would be the best direction for you to go.

I don't think the portable scope is really comparable to a real DSO. The scope in my Vantage Pro, or my old Modis don't compare to the abilities of a real DSO scope. Don't confuse the two.

My DSO is on a cart in my shop with a dedicated computer & a 22" monitor. Everything I need is there. If I had to set it up & take it with me every time I needed it, I would never use it. That is where the portable scope really shines. And WTH Snap-on, stopping support for the Vantage Pro & not offering a free standing replacement. This is going to force us to go to a "multi function device", or look somewhere else.

Think about what you are going to be doing with your scan tool & scope. Chose the configuration that is tight for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
6 years 3 months ago #16258 by rockp2
Well arbez, I pulled the trigger and ordered the brand new Maxisys MS906 from a tool supplier. $959.00 with free shipping and also comes with a bonus TS408 tool. Possibly could have got cheaper from ebay, but didn't like some of the reviews I was reading concerning the sellers,and with all the clone and fake crap out there... I will tell you I was reading some great reviews on the tool itself. I think it will be a good fit for me for now. I seemed to "outgrow' the Autoengunity tool capabilities I've had on my my laptop for a few years. I'm a red-blooded-American-boy...I want "MORE POWER!" grunt, grunt, grunt :) (tool power that is) One of the auto technician magazines reviews I read stated this was probably the best tool for someone like me. Thanks very much for all of your help! Your advice was very helpful. Now if you (or anyone else) could take a few minutes to explain what the advantages are of having a DSO? I kinda thought my Vantage Pro fit the bill in in the oscilloscope area. What are the advantages of having a DSO also?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16259 by Dtnel
Also isn't something big coming up next year regarding changes in how automakers have to provide certain or more information to the non dealer side of the industry? This could fuel sales of certain machines due to new features being available on newer machines. There was something with the information that has to be provided and something hitting a certain point this coming year.

My luck it won't include my machine. Would be nice if the higher end machines had pass thru programming built in where you only have to hook up to a Ethernet cable or wireless N network to do vehicle component programming. Seems as if every little thing costs extra. Thought about the Mongoose but wouldn't use it enough unless I took my 3 Chevy's to the dealer annually for software updates.

I wonder if there's people that actually get their cars software regularly updated? I'm not that guy though. Thought about doing updates since it's been years but scared of the possible outcome of something starting to act up post update.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16260 by arbez
Good deal. Always a smart play to make a major purchase from a reputable dealer. Bonus on the TPMS tool. I have the TS501, it works great & the updates are free.

The differences between the Vantage Pro & a DSO are huge. Much faster, more memory, greater detail & much more versatile. Not as portable & setup/breakdown can be a hassle. If you are just starting out, stick with the Vantage Pro. It is the best way to learn.

The DSO is a big step from the Vantage. Steep learning curve. Not nearly as user friendly as the Vantage. Start thinking DSO when you feel like the Vantage is holding you back. Watch some video's on the PicoScope & compare to the Vantage. That will show you what the differences are. Not recommending the Pico, unless you have all the money in the world. I've been using a Hantek scope for more than 5 years & it works fine.

Get the scan tool running & use it all you can. Use your Vantage along with the Autel & you have a good base to work from. That's the way to learn & grow.

Let us know how it goes & enjoy the new year

GG - arbez

More
6 years 3 months ago #16271 by Dtnel
Don't forget Paul uses a U Probe Micro Scanner.

Arbez +1 on the Hantek. I have some cheaper ones I fooled around with.

Back to what Arbez was saying about watching Videos. Picoscope website has alot of good videos, YouTube does have alot of videos and Paul has did many a videos as well.

Good choice on buying reputable as well. For the cost of some TPMS tools are a little over 1/3 to 1/2 of what you bought so you definitely got some bonus cash essentially there. Won't see many tool trucks giving you that good a deal even if you're a regular customer.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16277 by Dtnel

rockp2 wrote: Well arbez, I pulled the trigger and ordered the brand new Maxisys MS906 from a tool supplier. $959.00 with free shipping and also comes with a bonus TS408 tool. Possibly could have got cheaper from ebay, but didn't like some of the reviews I was reading concerning the sellers,and with all the clone and fake crap out there... I will tell you I was reading some great reviews on the tool itself. I think it will be a good fit for me for now. I seemed to "outgrow' the Autoengunity tool capabilities I've had on my my laptop for a few years. I'm a red-blooded-American-boy...I want "MORE POWER!" grunt, grunt, grunt :) (tool power that is) One of the auto technician magazines reviews I read stated this was probably the best tool for someone like me. Thanks very much for all of your help! Your advice was very helpful. Now if you (or anyone else) could take a few minutes to explain what the advantages are of having a DSO? I kinda thought my Vantage Pro fit the bill in in the oscilloscope area. What are the advantages of having a DSO also?

I don't know how the numbering systems go but how would this one I posted a pic of compare as I saw you guys were talking about the above and when I was on Amazon I saw this which when it comes to numbers don't know if the higher is better.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16278 by rockp2
There's a couple OS differences (kinda slight I think) and the main tool outer difference is the Maxisys 906 comes with a flashlight and camera mounted in the back panel (not that it had anything at all to do with my choice). In a side by side comparison they state that the MaxiDAS 808 functions almost the same as the MaxiSYS 906.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16280 by Dtnel

arbez wrote:
Dtnel, Every person's situation is different. If you are a "mobile tech" you need your equipment to be portable & compact. A DSO is not compact or as easily portable as a self contained unit is. I use my Vantage Pro when I go out, but I'm quick to bring vehicles back to the shop. I'm just better equipped & there is always something that I forgot to bring.

I'm not familiar with the Zues, but it looks like big bucks to me. I work for myself, by myself & I try not to buy anything that is going to take me forever to pay off. If I can't pay for it outright, I don't need it.

I believe that we are trying to advise someone that is looking to spend 1-2K & I'm trying to give him the benefit of my experience. You obviously have mad a substantial investment in some high end equipment. Your PicoScope should have a pretty good resale value & that should be a substantial chunk out of the Zeus. It sounds like that would be the best direction for you to go.

I don't think the portable scope is really comparable to a real DSO. The scope in my Vantage Pro, or my old Modis don't compare to the abilities of a real DSO scope. Don't confuse the two.

My DSO is on a cart in my shop with a dedicated computer & a 22" monitor. Everything I need is there. If I had to set it up & take it with me every time I needed it, I would never use it. That is where the portable scope really shines. And WTH Snap-on, stopping support for the Vantage Pro & not offering a free standing replacement. This is going to force us to go to a "multi function device", or look somewhere else.

Think about what you are going to be doing with your scan tool & scope. Chose the configuration that is tight for you.

I didn't catch his amount at first, my bad on that. Eventually I plan on getting a expansion done on the garage where the DSO will be beneficial as I already have TV with 32 in in current garage and I'd just move it to the "man garage" side and do more inside work which would be more beneficial work. I do a little side work. Most is mainly hobby but I do "pay it forward" work as well because while not having everything in life I've been fortunate given my circumstances (medical issues) so I try to help others when I have the time in between doing my stuff and the honey do's .

Yes I wish I would've did more research when I started as I'd probably have a Autel , U Probe kit and a Power Probe Hook with the 5 volt adapter that reduces voltage from 12/24 volts down to 5 volts to allow one to safely test computer sensor circuits and provide a 5 volt reference voltage for the testing.

I do use the accessories from my Picoscope DSO with my scan tool scope as I've learned and became more confident and I'm very positive those skills will just carry over to the DSO as I use it more.

All in all alot of useful and informative information here that's helped me with my decision making in the future.

On a side note I seen a otc genisys in a pawn shop a few months back and it looked very ancient and it seemed they wanted a ridiculous amount of money when compared to today's current scan tools.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Dtnel. Reason: Edit

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds