A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Maxisys 908pro vs 906

More
6 years 4 months ago #16026 by Bigfoote13
Hello again everybody, so I'm wondering if I purchased the Maxisys 908pro that has ECU programming capability how much of an opportunity would one think that I could have by contacting various shops in the area and advertising my ability to do that if needed. Or should I just purchase the 906 and go with a good scanner without the programming capabilities? , And save $1,000. Thank you for your input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16030 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Maxisys 908pro vs 906
I believe it would depend on your area & how many other people around you offer the same service. I make small talk with the guy that does my programming & it seems like it's a PITA. He has endless stories about shops that have no idea what they are doing & think the "flash" will fix everything. He says that body shops are the worst & no one want's to pay when the flash doesn't fix anything, or they expect you to diagnose what is wrong when the flash fails.

Also, my "guy" has at least 5 or 6 different programmers, some handheld & some PC based. Seems like one tool isn't going to do everything. All the different tools, subscriptions & possibility of bricking something, makes me happy that I'm not doing this.

I would talk to some of your potential customers & see what the interest is. Doubt you will find anyone that does this for a living that wants to give you any real feedback. If they tell you how to do it that's just taking money out of their pocket.

My guy is always very vague about the actual details of what he does. I also know that he has an Autel Maxisys flasher, but I have never seen him use it with anything he has done for us.

I would do a lot of research before I look at this as a significant source of income.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 4 months ago #16032 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Maxisys 908pro vs 906
I wanted to do something similar, but the various subscriptions required to work on all the models you'll encounter is really cost prohibitive.

I thought about buying the subscriptions as needed and rolling them into the cost of programming, but how could you justify the cost to the customer when some subscriptions are literally thousands of dollars?
I think if I had to come up with a plan to make it profitable, I would focus on one manufacturer to start out with.
For me it would be Honda. Not because I'm a Honda fan boy, but in my area, Honda is by far the preferred vehicle of consumers.

You could leave a dead new Audi unlocked with the keys in it, but you better have lug locks and a damn good alarm on your 91 Civic.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigfoote13

More
6 years 4 months ago #16054 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Maxisys 908pro vs 906
I'd also be interested to hear feedback on the Autel J2534 capabilities. I've got my eye on the MaxiSys Elite, but I'm not sure that the J-box adds up to a Bosch MVI or Cardaq.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16061 by cheryl hartkorn
gm doesnt support the autel programming. also noah honda ecm programming is free.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 4 months ago #16063 by arbez
How do you get "free" Honda programming.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16065 by cheryl hartkorn
. i got to remember how to install the honda j2534 rewrite special

More
6 years 4 months ago #16066 by cheryl hartkorn
its free after the 2001 model year for emission programming

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 4 months ago #16076 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Maxisys 908pro vs 906

cheryl hartkorn wrote: gm doesnt support the autel programming. also noah honda ecm programming is free.

Well I guess that's a good one to start with after all, lol. Thanks Cheryl;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 4 months ago #16087 by arbez

cheryl hartkorn wrote: its free after the 2001 model year for emission programming

So I could flash the ECU on my '05 Civic for free, if I pick up the hardware? Where would I download the updated firmware?

I have a reoccurring code for a lazy rear O2 sensor. Sensor looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. Light still comes on every few weeks. I know there is a flash update for this issue, I'm just too cheap to pay my guy to do it. I hate spending money on my own car, at least this one.

I would gladly put the "flash money" towards a tool that would allow me do some flash updates. I do work on & own a lot of Honda's

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it.

GG - arbez

More
6 years 4 months ago #16109 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Maxisys 908pro vs 906

cheryl hartkorn wrote: gm doesnt support the autel programming. also noah honda ecm programming is free.

Whoops, never mind then. :blush: :lol: GM's would probably be half of the cars I'd want to program.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16126 by bruce.oliver
Replied by bruce.oliver on topic Maxisys 908pro vs 906
The 908p is a more capable scantool even if you don't do programming. But as far as I know, no manufacturer has approved the autel jbox. That doesn't mean it won't work, but if you need support the manufacturer won't help you. With that being said I wouldn't try to start a side business doing programming unless you intend on buying factory tools. To much liability trying to use an aftermarket jbox.

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds