A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

AMP CLAMP Question

More
6 years 4 months ago #15814 by Dtnel
AMP CLAMP Question was created by Dtnel
I am curious if I can use the amp clamp that came with my Picoscope kit from Autonerdz on my Modis Edge? It looks the same as the snap on brand and costs alot less since I already own it. Being the Picoscope kit came with 2 (small and large) can they be used? Won't violate warranty if the snap on guy don't know since it's just a amp clamp will it??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15815 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic AMP CLAMP Question
Any scope will work with any amp clamp --- one of the valuable things to learn about scopes is they have such a high input resistance (1 million ohms) they won't harm any electrical circuit you find on a car and automotive scopes can withstand spikes in ignition primary voltage so they are pretty tough.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

More
6 years 4 months ago #16117 by EricGoodrich
Replied by EricGoodrich on topic AMP CLAMP Question
I'd still use an attenuator. And, definitely attach the ground clip on capacitive secondary pickups before plugging into the scope, or starting the vehicle.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16122 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic AMP CLAMP Question
I don't use an attenuator with my amp clamp. But I definitely use one for scoping voltage waveforms. As in primary ignition, injectors... The 4423 has a max input of 100v. If you have the latest model 4425 they boosted that up to 200v if I'm not mistaken.
Pico also provides you the information on how to set up your scope and leads for specific measurements.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16123 by EricGoodrich
Replied by EricGoodrich on topic AMP CLAMP Question

Dylan wrote: I don't use an attenuator with my amp clamp. But I definitely use one for scoping voltage waveforms. As in primary ignition, injectors... The 4423 has a max input of 100v. If you have the latest model 4425 they boosted that up to 200v if I'm not mistaken.
Pico also provides you the information on how to set up your scope and leads for specific measurements.

LOL. I wasn't using my brain. I was thinking about when measuring voltage. I wasn't paying attention. Haha

More
6 years 4 months ago #16124 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic AMP CLAMP Question

EricGoodrich wrote:

Dylan wrote: I don't use an attenuator with my amp clamp. But I definitely use one for scoping voltage waveforms. As in primary ignition, injectors... The 4423 has a max input of 100v. If you have the latest model 4425 they boosted that up to 200v if I'm not mistaken.

LOL. I wasn't using my brain. I was thinking about when measuring voltage. I wasn't paying attention. Haha

:) That's what I thought. He has voltage in mind. But good tip on the capacitive secondary. Thx!

More
6 years 3 months ago #16207 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic AMP CLAMP Question
All good and useful information. Thanks to all!

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds