A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Exhaust Gas Analyzer

More
6 years 3 months ago #15745 by Dtnel
Exhaust Gas Analyzer was created by Dtnel
Looking for a decent but not real expensive exhaust gas analyzer that's easy to work with.

I've seen Danner mention in some of his videos that he has one that he picked up for under a few hundred dollars. Maybe if someone knows where he picked it up or if he sees this and could chime bujldee that would be awesome.

I'm sure for a few hundred bucks or less one could pickup a basic one that detects hydrocarbons....

I've checked Amazon without much luck and Google search points to $$$$ Expensive $$$$ one's so I figured I'd ask around as I'm sure someone knows of a cheaper place.

This would be something I'm looking for to detected the presence of exhaust fumes in coolant and also if possible exhaust levels at the tailpipe which would help with O2 sensor troubleshooting as a extra test tool to have on hand in addition to testing the O2 sensors.

Thanks in advance for all the answers!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15748 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer
Not sure what analyzer you are speaking of. Maybe you could link to the video. If we can buy a exhaust gas analyzer for a few hundred bucks, the line starts here......

I have one of these: www.amazon.com/Instruments-7899-Combusti...bustible+Gas+Sniffer

Works well.

The color changing fluid testers fail to identify bad gaskets way too often. Head gaskets fail in several different ways. The color change fluid will only detect a specific type of failure. This tester identifies any combustible gas in the coolant. It's really sensitive & feels fragile, but works when the green fluid stays green & you still feel that the head gasket is the problem.

It wont help you diagnose exhaust gasses, but will tell you if they are in your radiator.

GG - arbez
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15750 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer

arbez wrote: Not sure what analyzer you are speaking of. Maybe you could link to the video. If we can buy a exhaust gas analyzer for a few hundred bucks, the line starts here...... quote]

At the 2:50 point he speaks of one. Maybe it's one of the type you display, maybe not as he didn't display it? Here's a pic of the video title, part of the premium channel I believe. Using premium but still trying to figure out which videos are premium or not. It is added content so I'm assuming it's premium channel.

[Quote I have one of these: www.amazon.com/Instruments-7899-Combusti...bustible+Gas+Sniffer

Works well.

The color changing fluid testers fail to identify bad gaskets way too often. Head gaskets fail in several different ways. The color change fluid will only detect a specific type of failure. This tester identifies any combustible gas in the coolant. It's really sensitive & feels fragile, but works when the green fluid stays green & you still feel that the head gasket is the problem.

It wont help you diagnose exhaust gasses, but will tell you if they are in your radiator.

GG - arbez quote]

I have 2 of those kits. Ordered one and it never showed after ten days so called Amazon and they shipped another. 3 weeks later the first one arrived so I called Amazon and they said don't worry as it had already been claimed against the postal service. No tracking was available on this item which is probably why they said don't worry as no one knew was my guess.

Hope I did my quote marks correctly as I haven't did quotes of answers to my questions in awhile and tend to get the brackets and directions or them incorrectly.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Dtnel. Reason: Trying to get quotes correct

More
6 years 3 months ago #15751 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer
I guess I didn't get my quotes correct the way I wanted them but you can see what I'm talking about at least I hope.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40093 by iMarian
Replied by iMarian on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer
You can try out the ones from Ci Analytics :)

More
3 years 10 months ago #40100 by Dtech494
Replied by Dtech494 on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer
If you want to find gasses in the coolant a combustible gas leak detector
(natural gas or propane type of leak detector) should work as mentioned by Arbez.
I have seen in some other posts using a flue gas (furnace) combustion tester that tests,
O2, CO2, and CO. Some display Nox as well which could make them useful for tail pipe testing. But some of these can get pricey or if looking used they will need new sensors or even calibration.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #46697 by Pop Alexandra
Replied by Pop Alexandra on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer

iMarian wrote: You can try out the ones from Ci Analytics :)

I also have some positive experiences with them, especially with cianalytics.com/application/nox  .
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Pop Alexandra.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #54815 by DapperZapper
Replied by DapperZapper on topic Exhaust Gas Analyzer
anyone got any updates on this topic--affordable analyzers?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds