Home build Simple ABS active Wheel Speed Sensor Test

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15554 by Andy.MacFadyen
Further to this thread -- Link to ABS sensor bench test
I put this together using info from a few websites

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57, Cgaengineer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 days ago #28885 by Tcgrmt
Is it possible to get more info on how to build this for the non electrical folks? I am retro fitting a Ford Racing ABS unit to my race car and would like to check the active sensor function since I don’t have access to trouble codes.

More
5 years 4 days ago #28915 by GypsyR
Hmmm. He's just using the LED inline instead of a scope. I would prefer to use a scope since I wouldn't have to count flashes and a scope would be more likely to show if a single tooth or two were damaged. ABS is not the focus of my work though and I've yet to need to check out any "active" systems.

I can't imagine installing an ABS system without having any capability of querying the EBCM to see if it sees any issues. All you'd need is an OBDII connector wired with the pins for CAN high, Can low, Battery 12 volts, and chassis ground. OK, and a scanner to read it. There are good reasons to check individual sensors but only after the EBCM has set a code or is misbehaving because an issue is indicated.

More
5 years 4 days ago #28917 by Andy.MacFadyen
I don't think I would want to retrofit any complex electronic system to a car if I had no means of talking to it with a scan tool. The LED tester was really intended for checking junkyard parts off car and as a make do measure for checking cars that no diagnostic system was available for. There is actually a commercial tool available that works in a similar way. For checking individual sensors the best way is use an oscilloscope even the very cheapest sub 100 dollar scope will do the job.

More
5 years 4 days ago #28918 by Andy.MacFadyen
I don't think I would want to retrofit any complex electronic system to a car if I had no means of talking to it with a scan tool. The LED tester was really intended for checking junkyard parts off car and as a make do measure for checking cars that no diagnostic system was available for. There is actually a commercial tool available that works in a similar way. ( Waekon PinPoint ABS tester) For checking individual sensors the best way is use an oscilloscope even the very cheapest sub 100 dollar scope will do the job.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds