A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Got my 1st real scanner!

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #15201 by Seabass86
A discontinued Windows CE based Autel Maxidas DS708. No battery, draws it's power from your 120v AC wall outlet, 12v outlet, battery posts, or the DLC itself. Battery would have been nice, but eh.. at least it gives you 5 ways you can keep it powered on.

Snagged it on an Ebay auction for $480. It was 45 minutes out of Portland, so i just picked it up in some oregon country side pawn shop.

Oh look, and hey it was never registered or updated. The moment I registered it Autel throws all the current updates my way for free. Score.

I like it, the graphics are not as nice as Autel's new Android-based high-definition scanners And. Real time graphing is somewhat dated in it's resolution but it does the job. And it does it readily and with little fuss if any.

Bi-Directional controls are there. Modulating my ABS, locking/unlocking doors, honking horns.. lol that stuff is fun.

Highly recommend if you're on a budget but need a real scan tool which is still supported and upgradable.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Seabass86.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EricGoodrich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15224 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Got my 1st real scanner!
Congratulations! :cheer: Used or not, making the jump to a pro level scanner is a big step.

Highly recommend if you're on a budget but need a real scan tool which is still supported and upgradable.

Totally agree. Been using a MaxiSys at work for awhile now, and I've been impressed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seabass86

More
6 years 5 months ago #15230 by Andy.MacFadyen
Nice tool ---- if you are anything like me you will be scanning every car that passes through your hands for a while. Autel make good tools enjoy.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Seabass86

More
6 years 5 months ago #15236 by Tyler

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Nice tool ---- if you are anything like me you will be scanning every car that passes through your hands for a while. Autel make good tools enjoy.

Truth! Actually, it's been years now, and I still do this. :silly:

More
6 years 5 months ago #15237 by Andy.MacFadyen
I spent an hour yesterday trying the diagnostics on a diesel burning block heater.
Sad ....... I should get a life

More
6 years 5 months ago #15239 by Seabass86
Replied by Seabass86 on topic Got my 1st real scanner!
I thought you gained a life in gaining a scanner. It was pre-scanner days where one truly didn't have a life.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15246 by Andy.MacFadyen
"To a Scanner Darkly"

More
6 years 5 months ago #15247 by Seabass86
Replied by Seabass86 on topic Got my 1st real scanner!
I don't get it. I mean I googled it... It's a movie.. lemme fire up the ole Honda Elite and go for a ride. I'll let jostle around my mind for a while. :)

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 5 months ago #15260 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Got my 1st real scanner!
Good deal man!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 5 months ago #15343 by lanny717
Replied by lanny717 on topic Got my 1st real scanner!
How about DS808 ?

More
6 years 4 months ago #15648 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Got my 1st real scanner!
Sweet deal and super fun to mess around with. Now when you do full vehicle scans you can see how many faults come up on every car you scan. I feel like I've only seen a few cars come through that don't have SOMETHING stored in at least one of the modules.

Usually a lot of the stuff has been in there for a while and clearing it is fun to see which ones come back right away.

Tip, do not do a full scan as a selling technique. I've made the mistake of doing that to show that the car had no engine codes but when the body module had a few pop up, those were a little hard to explain away!

More
6 years 4 months ago #15697 by Tyler

Now when you do full vehicle scans you can see how many faults come up on every car you scan. I feel like I've only seen a few cars come through that don't have SOMETHING stored in at least one of the modules.

Agreed, this is a good way to figure out which codes to ignore, and which ones to pay attention to. GM's various body modules love to set codes when the wind changes direction. :silly:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 4 months ago #15703 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Got my 1st real scanner!

Tyler wrote:
Agreed, this is a good way to figure out which codes to ignore, and which ones to pay attention to. GM's various body modules love to set codes when the wind changes direction. :silly:

Lol, sounds like every Lincoln I've ever worked on!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 4 months ago #15806 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Got my 1st real scanner!

Tyler wrote:

Now when you do full vehicle scans you can see how many faults come up on every car you scan. I feel like I've only seen a few cars come through that don't have SOMETHING stored in at least one of the modules.

C'mon the GM codes are the gremlins munching on the wires or as in my buddies case he had a BCM codes, door module codes, no tailgate locks, no windows one side vs the other, same with locks. HE had the install shop at the recycler shop where he's asst mgr at dig deep into it and found the wiring harness had rubbed through. Shorted the bcm so they had to fix wiring that rubbed thru, get a used bcm they had on site ($350), reprogram it and install it. That's what those funky codes we don't know much about can do and cause havoc with.

Seems more and more one code leads to or is related to another.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds